• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey all.

I need help. I do TKD and jujitsu. I put this here, because I am feeling that I like Jujitsu more.

Anyways, I've done kicking arts all my MA life. But I have found that I have fallin in love with Jujitsu (traditional). I am so close to BB in TKD, and I'm just a white belt in Jujitsu, but its enough to know that I love it more.

I don't think I will quit TKD, but I got into MA for self defense, and Jujitsu is all about that. I found "my art." The one that fits me. I knew this a long time ago, but I didn't wanna say anything. But now, I'm looking for opinions.

So let it rip folks ;) Let me have it.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want opinions about what? Seems you have found an art you really like and obviously want to continue. I have also recently started BJJ and I love it. :)

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

of course you like it, it's completely opposite TKD :P

Seriously though, you should be decently rounded with JJ added to your current TKD training. Keep working for your BB in TKD, and enjoy the challenge and newness of the jujitsu.

By what you say, you tell me that you are a student for life. Wise shoice. Add to your current training the fact that you have judo and TSD under your belt, and you are definitely well rounded as a martial artist. :karate:

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

There's nothing wrong with your opinions in the MA changing as the years roll by.... mine did! Go with the flow, or in the words of Sifu Bruce "Be like water".

I would definately say to continue with TKD, but if you feel that you want to do more JJ and back off on the TKD, do so. Don't feel guilty about it!

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Congratulations! I'm glad you found an art you can fall in love with.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing TKD for over 11 years and BJJ for about 2 years. I would never stop doing TKD. It has become the foundation for which I build the rest of my training. However, I love BJJ and now I want to get into Aikido as well. I think it comes down to the individual's MA maturity. TKD, and most arts that focus on striking are (IMHO) very appealing to those with little MA experience. They think that punching and kicking someone (beating them in other words) is the best defense to have when that same someone is trying to hit or beat them. Once they understand that striking technique can only get you so far in a fight, they start to realize that grappling and throwing arts like JJ and Judo offer a way to control an attacker rather than just letting your fists and feet fly and hoping to land a blow that will knock out an attacker. You don't know how many hits it will take to incapacitate someone, but you do know that if you throw them to the ground and apply a choke or submission, they cannot hit you back, and you will have control of the situation. I believe it's only natural for someone experienced in striking arts to gravitate towards grappling and throwing arts once they understand the limitations of striking as a defensive tactic. Striking is for offense. Grappling and throwing is for defense. I like to be proficient in both just in case, so I think you're on the right track, and if you can only do JJ once a week, keep up the TKD training to at least supplement your physical fitness regimen. Also, if you're so close to BB in TKD, finish up and get there. No reason not to, right?

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Great! Good luck in all of your training karatekid!

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor