• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bokendo

I've been involved in martial arts for over 20 years. Been studying Bokendo for about 12 years. To make a long story short, my instructor died several years back and I have not been able to find anyone who studies the same style and have not been able to find any literature on the subject. Is there anyone out there(with knowledge of bokendo or literature on it)? First time on karateforums. Great vehicle for promoting communication and evolution of the arts? THANKS!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never been in a kendo class, but from what I know They train with shinai (babboo swords) and boken (wooden swords) as we do. We have some drawing (Iai) forms and set forms. Our drawing forms sre similar to other styles of Iai Do. I have not seen the set forms that we have in any other style.

Basically we start off practicing drawing and cutting techniques and set forms with bokens. Sparring or contact practice is done with shinsai in full uniform with kendo type gear, head gear, gloves, etc.

As you become more proficient you move on to live blades.

P.S. I'm not familiar with buddha hand. Fil me in.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been involved in martial arts for over 20 years. Been studying Bokendo for about 12 years. To make a long story short, my instructor died several years back and I have not been able to find anyone who studies the same style and have not been able to find any literature on the subject. Is there anyone out there(with knowledge of bokendo or literature on it)? First time on karateforums. Great vehicle for promoting communication and evolution of the arts? THANKS!

I've never heard of that art. It sounds very interesting. If you can't find anything on it, you might just have to switch to another style similiar to that, or contuine the art by starting your own school.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.