• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taekwondo vs Taekwonmudo

Hi, simple question, id be grateful if someone could please explain the difference between the two.

I do WTF taekwondo and theres a club nearby that does taekwonmudo that im interested in changing to (my club keeps changing all the moves, stances and patterns on a regular basis and its starting to get on my nerves!) - its just a thought at the moment but id be grateful if someone could enlighten me on what its like in comparison.

Cheers :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

http://sevenhills.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Is this the club in Sheffield that you were thinking of switching to?

If it is then you'll be alright there. Simon, the instructor is a great guy and a great martial artist.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 3 months later...

Taekwonmudo (Mudo means The Martial art or spirit of)

This is Taekwondo in its pure form. It is Taekwondo although many instructors will tell you it is not. The patterns have changed and gone are the walking stances in favour of forward stance and back stance. The emphasis is placed on all aspects of the art rather than just the sparring side this means people can compete at any age even those that may be unfit due to ill health. Taekwonmudo is for everyone not just those young and fit for the olympics.

Taekwonmudo (Mudo means The Martial art or spirit of)

This is Taekwondo in its pure form. It is Taekwondo although many instructors will tell you it is not. The patterns have changed and gone are the walking stances in favour of forward stance and back stance. The emphasis is placed on all aspects of the art rather than just the sparring side this means people can compete at any age even those that may be unfit due to ill health. Taekwonmudo is for everyone not just those young and fit for the olympics.

WTF TKD is not "all about the Olympics". It is the recognized sparring style USED in the Olympics, but there are many many tournaments where people of ALL ages compete. Just because WTF is the recognized "Olympic" style, doesn't mean it's a bad or invalid art.

And, if you want to see another example of TKD tournaments being available to any age, go to any ATA tournament. You'll see people in their 60's competing and having a great time.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Have a look at the BTCB web site, on it you will find that 95% of it is about fighting. A small part of it covers poomse. They are the governing body for WTF in the UK, I think that the WTF should be opened up to everyone but that is not going to happen for a while is it? So the Ata may be doing the correct thing but if it is not sanctioned by the BTCB then its not WTF there words not mine so dont have a go at me. (I am on your side) This is what happens in the UK the BTCB means British Taekwondo CONTROL Board

Yeah, but why join WTF (or wish to join WTF) if you don't like the sparrring. WTF is primarily Olympic style sparring.

As for the BTCB, there's plenty of other governing bodies out there. BTCB is the Taekwondo Control Board for BRITISH OLYMPIC Taekwondo - just that sort, not any other TKD type, so naturally the BTCB is going to have its website about its primary concern - Olympic style sparring.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!