• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan karate

foofies

[Thanks Tommy!

I do Shotokan and in my dojo you become eligible for kyu exams every three months, provided you train regularly (3-4 times a week) and the instructor doesn't make a face when you are trying to sign up. Once you are first kyu, you'll have to wait a year. So I would say, on the average, from white to black it's about 4 years.

And then you still do basics! It doens't necessarily stop just because you become a black belt!

That's why I don't think it's a big problem with all the rankings: Because Shotokan is a LOT about kihon anyway, white belt or black belt, and I think it works.

Cheers,

Katrin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Katrin,

I see you're from Philly, I'm not far from there (Allentown).

Are you associated with Okazaki?

Tommy

Yes I am. I have been training under Okazaki Sensei for 4.5 years.

Katrin

Very good :) I've never met or trained with him but back in 1988 I took an instructors course at Long Island University in NY that I believe he co-designed along with Milorad Stricevic. I was closely based on his book "Modern Karate"

Tommy

Katrin,

Tommy

Katrin

Very good :) I've never met or trained with him but back in 1988 I took an instructors course at Long Island University in NY that I believe he co-designed along with Milorad Stricevic. It was closely based on his book "Modern Karate".

Tommy

Katrin,

Tommy

Katrin

Very good :) I've never met or trained with him but back in 1988 I took an instructors course at Long Island University in NY that I believe he co-designed along with Milorad Stricevic. It was closely based on his book "Modern Karate".

Tommy

Interesting! Have you read that book? Who are you training with? Or do you have your own dojo?

[Thanks Tommy!

and the instructor doesn't make a face when you are trying to sign up.

I just pictured kids with pens near a sign-up sheet, staring at their sensei rather than the sheet - with hopeful looks in their eyes. :)

As for my dojo we focus a great deal on the three K's: Kihon, Kata, and Kumite. We don't necessary put in for tournaments, etc. but it isn't exactly discouraged either. If you wish to compete you can however my dojo is not full contact. We are light contact and point contact, to emphasis the control of the technique. Some of us do some full contact work, but that is not the norm in our dojo.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu