• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kung Fu School/Styles Question (New to MA)

Hi, sorry if this is not allowed, but I had a more general topic about starting martial arts elsewhere, but this is more specifically about a certain school and requesting information about the styles it teaches.

The place's wesbite:

http://www.kungfutaichi.com/ says this is what they offer:

Kung Fu curriculum includes:

Southern Style: 5 Animals, Nan Quan (Tiger - Crane)

Northern Shaolin Long Fist

Chin Na

Bagua Zhang

Buddha Palm

(Chinese Wooden Man Form)

Traditional Chinese Weapons including: Staff, Broadsword, Spear, Chain, 3-Section Staff, Straight Sword, Double Broadsword Double Straight Sword

Also has Tai-Chi and Qigong which I am not that interested in, but its cool too.

So, what can someone tell me about the particular advantages and disadvantages of these styles and this program?

Key things I need in my program:

- Something I can get into relatively quickly and isn't too long term, as I am going to college next fall and won't be around for so long and will have to start up again elsewhere.. so if this seems like a very long term program thats no good.

- My main goal is fitness, but awesomeness and discipline are good too. Not overly concerned with competitions and such in the least.

So yeah, all these hundreds of Kung Fu styles, and I know nothing... so info is welcome.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5th dan? I know of no "dan" ranking in kung fu. The body methods for Hung gar and baguazhang are completely different. It looks like you could learn tiger crane there but bagua or taiji...?

The head instructor does not name any of his teachers and what he studied and for how long.I doubt if he is certified from any of his teachers but mentions some organisation that recognizes him as a 5th degree black belt.There is no black belt in Chinese MA and no 5th degree in traditional MA.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

It's true that there is no "dan" or "belt" ranking in gung fu, so it'll be a little more difficult to verify the instructor's experience--should you wish to.

At the same time, they seem like fairly young guys who decided to transition from their Tae Kwon Do or Karate styles, and offer something a little different. You, the consumer/student, simply need to decide whether or not you want to learn some solid gung fu basics or whether you want to get deeper.

Depending on what you want, those instructors might be fine to train with. And when the time is right, you can decide if they're somebody you want to learn from.

So Many Masters; So Few Students

• 1 month later...

Kung fu Rank Titles:

Si-Dai Jr. Student

Si-Hing Sr. Student

Si Suk Assistant Instructor

Sifu Instructor

SiBak Sr. Instructor (Jr. Master)

Sigung/Master Instructor

Si Tai Gung/Sr. Master Instructor

Sijo Founder of the System.

This not include the Female Titles.

Sigung White

34 years in the Martial Arts, Certified Police Trainer. Member of the Professional Karate Commission, IAOMAS, Fist Law Society, Director of the Molum Combat Arts Association and the MLCAA Honor Society

Kung Fu curriculum includes:

Southern Style: 5 Animals, Nan Quan (Tiger - Crane)

Northern Shaolin Long Fist

Chin Na

Bagua Zhang

Buddha Palm

(Chinese Wooden Man Form)

Traditional Chinese Weapons including: Staff, Broadsword, Spear, Chain, 3-Section Staff, Straight Sword, Double Broadsword Double Straight Sword

Also has Tai-Chi and Qigong which I am not that interested in, but its cool too. So yeah, all these hundreds of Kung Fu styles, and I know nothing... so info is welcome.

Pro: The school has a lot to offer so you will be exposed to many different styles. Not knowing anything about Chinese martial arts this will give you an opportunity find what system fits you best.

Con: Northern Shaolin Longfist, BaGua & TaiChi are complete systems with years of learning required to master. With having such a broad curriculum you'll only scratch the surface of each individual style. I've never heard of the wooden dummy form referred as Buddha's Palm - maybe a Wing Chun person can help out on that one. Southern style 5 Animal/Tiger-Crane doesn't make any sense to me. What happend to the other three animals?

I'm partial to learning one system so my views are biased. Your best bet is to check out the school & see for yourself. Good luck in your search.

That is not a true statement. There are several Northern Systems that use this system as well.

I have been involved in Kung Fu research for over thirty years, and know this to be true. There are several Northern Praying mantis systems that use this type of system as well. Ma Jong Law Horn uses this system as well. So, your facts are a little off. Even though, our system teach several system Of Kung Fu and Aikijutsu, I use both a japanse and chinese grading system. Jow Ga is a Northern Family system and it use this type of ranking system as well.

Sigung White

34 years in the Martial Arts, Certified Police Trainer. Member of the Professional Karate Commission, IAOMAS, Fist Law Society, Director of the Molum Combat Arts Association and the MLCAA Honor Society