• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Correct Shotokan

Dojo02

A couple of months ago i meant a J.K.A. yondan and he has helped my karate a hell of alot. He has opened my eyes to alot of things mainly making my kata sharper and techiniques more accurate. One of the things he said to me once was that if i study shotokan outside the J.K.A. it is not real shotokan. Not the one funakoshi has in Khyon or best karate series. I study under my sensai who studied under Thomas LaPuppet. Is he right. Granted there are changes in parts of the kata but are generally the same. Please someone give me some piece of mind about this. Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one today studies true (any style). Each teachers who teaches is diferant. They focus on differant things. JKA, SKA, ASKA AKA, and man many smaller groups. Its the idea Fuanakoshi set forth more so than the exact placement of techinque that makes us Shotokan.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I have to disagree in a major way here. The Shihan of SKA, Master Ohshima is a direct pupil of Funakoshi AND the one who translated (at the request of the Funakoshi family) Karate Do Kyohan (which we follow). To say that what Master Ohshima teaches is not "true" Shotokan is a load of crap. Yes, I am biased and passionate about this becuase he is my Shihan, but think about it...Karate has become a business and people will say anything to get your money.

It is also worthwile to point out that SKA is the only NON-PROFIT Karate school dedicated to Karate-do.

As for the differences between JKA and SKA, you have to remember that this is the result of two peoples interpretations of Master Funakoshi's teachings. There are bound to be differences. Also, something that Master Ohshima points out a lot is that you need to adjust for size. Remember that Funakoshi was only about 4'8".

One of the things he said to me once was that if i study shotokan outside the J.K.A. it is not real shotokan. Not the one funakoshi has in Khyon or best karate series.

Daniel

Shodan with Shotokan Karate of America

My point is that no 2 people study the same. All the differant groups of Shotokan do differant things. However we all look to Gichin Funakoshi as our founder.

My post was made with this in mind. Funakoshi was one of the first to take the tradition family styles and form a public style. It is said their are as many styles of karate as those who practice it. The JKA may have Funakoshi's blessing but that does not make the other styles more or less Shotokan. IMO.

Granted they may be a bit more along the lines of Funakoshi's last wishes. However it is well known Funakoshi practiced many more than the 16? kata the JKA does.

If that is the argument you make Kennith Funakoshi who has the video series did not even do true shotokan and he is in the same family.

Is Kennith his grand nephew? I know he is not Gichin's grandson but its something like nephew not sure. Someone please correct me.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 2 weeks later...
When people go on about the "true" path in martial arts I am reminded of those religious annoyances who go on about their religion/sect/denomination being the only way to get to heaven. Trying other styles will undoubtedly help your "home" style MA, whether it be through different training, slightly different techniques or whatever. You will have found another style helpful but it is not necessarily the "true path". There is no one true path for everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• 7 months later...

I stumbled on this topic. It's kinda "old", but I thought it to be interesting

Dojo02:"A couple of months ago i meant a J.K.A. yondan and he has helped my karate a hell of alot. He has opened my eyes to alot of things mainly making my kata sharper and techiniques more accurate. One of the things he said to me once was that if i study shotokan outside the J.K.A. it is not real shotokan. "

Yeah sure. That's what they always say.

This is a good example of how they can trick ones miind. You are not studying real shotokan? What are they studying then? The real shotokan? Funakoshi and even Nakayama are dead for some years. You could say they are not studying real shotokan because the master can no longer teach them :D

Anytime you hear "stories" like this smile and mind your business. Let them feel good for studying the "real" shotokan and if there comes an opportunity show them yours :D :D :D

Well just kidding :)

Never let these guys make you feel bad. You study Shotokan and that's all. Be as good as you can be, train for yourself, stop when you feel you've done your job and take care.

This kind of remarks are another sign of the "tricks" and deceiving words coming from organisations trying to make themselves even more powerful. Why has got JKA affiliates all over the world if those schools don't teach real Shotokan? It makes me laugh :karate:

• 1 month later...

I have to disagree in a major way here. The Shihan of SKA, Master Ohshima is a direct pupil of Funakoshi AND the one who translated (at the request of the Funakoshi family) Karate Do Kyohan (which we follow).

That he did this translation at the request of the Funakoshi family has been shown to be a lie. The family denies every making this request and they have denounced the Oshima translation of the book.

The Oshima translation is not a true translation of Funakoshi's work - it is quite different. You can get a copy of the Spainish or French translation and you see a different thing.

This duplicity cost Oshima his credibility.

To say that what Master Ohshima teaches is not "true" Shotokan is a load of crap.

Oshima's karate *IS* a load of crap. That is why he lost most of his students to Nishiyama. That is why he has built an insular cult that is obsessed with discrediting the JKA. that is why he has little cult members like you.

I wont be as harsh as the last guy, but

Oshima trains in a form of shotokan. To say he teaches exactly what Funakoshi taught can not be correct.

He has trained many years as of now. If he is doing the exact same thing as when Funakoshi was alive, then he has not added his personal ideas and concepts into his karate. He has been nothing more than a puppet. That was something Funakoshi discouraged very much.

I doubt very much that Oshima has not used his brain when it comes to karate and technique.

Ture Shotokan is BS. Shotokan has not been around long enough for anyone to say they teach the true version of the from. Even when Funakoshi was alive, everyone was refining it.

Funakoshi would be very sad if he saw that we did not try to improve on something he created.

SKA as a cult, I have no idea. Anyone in any org, just can not accept the leader of that cult as perfect. I am ITKF, and like most of what Nishiyama teaches. However if I just blindly accept everything that is told to me, then I am nothing more than an idiot. You have to think about things.

Also, never forget. It is probably by pure luck that you are training under Oshima and SKA. You could have been training in another org if cercumstances and timing had of been different. Never for get that.

Makoto

Because I said so, and I am that damn good.