• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many black belts have you made?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well.. since my dad doesn't get on sites like these, I will answer for him.

He has graduated about:

1st Dans: Somewhere around 30-40.

2nd Dans: Around 10.

One thing you have to understand about our style of Shotokan, is that there are only 5 Dans. So, reaching 2nd or higher is fairly hard. My dad is a 4th Dan and he received it from the late Ken Eubanks. So, for me, I am 18 yrs. old and a 2nd Dan. I was in karate for about 12 yrs. also. So, getting past 1st Dan is hard. It isn't just a belt we give away like you seem some kids that are like 7 yrs. old and a BB. We take pride in awarding students to the BB level.

Belt: 2nd Dan

School: FiveStar Karate

Instructor: Tim Little

• 2 weeks later...

We take pride in awarding students to the BB level.

Cheers to that!! :D

I don't own the school I teach at and I work with the kids...but I think we have given a few BB outs... more than 10 I guess.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

Well.. since my dad doesn't get on sites like these, I will answer for him.

He has graduated about:

1st Dans: Somewhere around 30-40.

2nd Dans: Around 10.

One thing you have to understand about our style of Shotokan, is that there are only 5 Dans. So, reaching 2nd or higher is fairly hard. My dad is a 4th Dan and he received it from the late Ken Eubanks. So, for me, I am 18 yrs. old and a 2nd Dan. I was in karate for about 12 yrs. also. So, getting past 1st Dan is hard. It isn't just a belt we give away like you seem some kids that are like 7 yrs. old and a BB. We take pride in awarding students to the BB level.

I'm glad they have to work for it. However I do have a question. When you say there are only 5 dans...do you mean 10? Or is it a different version of shotokan? And if it is, how do your philosphies or training methods differ from the main system? Just curious.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

When Funakoshi trained, there were only 5 dans. I think it is when the JKA broke up or something, that Shotokan became 10 dans. (correct me if i am wrong). Originally, in Shotokan, there were only 5 dans.

Funakoshi never promoted anyone higher than 5th dan is hwat I heard.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt