nitrosam

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't agree more with posts by some of the others here...

To do karate you don't necessarily have to have good, or high kicks. When I was in karate I did more kicks in sparring than others did, but Karate isn't all about kicks... Learn to have a balanced system, have a few good kicks, and some good punches or other upper body attacks. I mean, good kicks are a great plus, but as long as you do your best, even a little kicking ability will go a long way. I don't think most sensei in this day and age will hold you back or anything for not being able to get your leg or foot up high enough or anything.

Just keep working on them and they maye even come to you still.

all the best,

Tom

I agree with everyone else. You've only been training for a year which isn't long. You wouldn't expect to be getting brilliant at any activity after only a year of practice let alone a martial art. Flexibility will develop over time but ultimately having high kicks is not the be all and end all of karate. I know plenty of people with bad knees who don't have the best kicks in the world but their hand and arm techniques are awesome. I'd be more concerned that you don't feel your instructor has time for you in terms of teaching and helping you with your problem. Talk to him or talk to one of the assistant instructors (If you have any at your dojo) who may have more time to focus on you, or even just a higher rank. Also don't get too down hearted about this. People take different amounts of time to develop their skills. The most important thing is that you're enjoying your training, and if you're not, then give serious thought to why you're doing karate. You wouldn't pick up a guitar for the 1 st time and expect to be Jimi Hendrix in 12 months.

I agree with srv. When I first started MA, I wasn't flexible at all. I couldn't even touch my toes. It took two and a half years for me to do even a split, and that was one side (right leg out) and I still can't do a side split (it's just the way my hips are built) after 5 years of training. But I can still kick people in the head. Splits don't matter when I spar. It's all technique for me. If I turn my hip over at the right moment, I can kick people in the head, but I can't do a full split (specially after the hip injury). But it still doesn't stop me. I almost knocked someone out with a kick to the head.

Just be patient. It will come ;)

Laurie F

You are still very young and at 22 years of age you have plenty of time to train in your martial art if you enjoy it.

Keep in mind high kicks are pretty, but not always powerful (although many TKD practitioners have nice powerful high kicks). Midlevel to lower level kicks are more powerful. When doing a Mawashi geri, be sure to turn your hips over when you kick and pivot on your base foot. This will give you a more powerful follow through. Also, on your own, you could weight train. Remember to warm up first, then stretch to keep your flexibility, then do some weight training (upper and lower body). Also, a great training tool is a heavy bag. Century has some great hanging or stand up bags available at different costs. Good luck.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

my sensei would hold you back if you couldn't get them high enough, but he also doesn't ask for head high kicks. but to test for your first rank all basic kicks must be belt high, but he may have exceptions in some cases

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

I agree with srv. When I first started MA, I wasn't flexible at all. I couldn't even touch my toes. It took two and a half years for me to do even a split, and that was one side (right leg out) and I still can't do a side split (it's just the way my hips are built) after 5 years of training. But I can still kick people in the head. Splits don't matter when I spar. It's all technique for me. If I turn my hip over at the right moment, I can kick people in the head, but I can't do a full split (specially after the hip injury). But it still doesn't stop me. I almost knocked someone out with a kick to the head.

Just be patient. It will come ;)

Same with me, I've been training 9 years...can't do the splits and can only JUST reach my toes when im fully warmed up. That being said I can easily perform head-high roundhouse kicks and can do well-over-head-high front kicks.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

• 2 weeks later...

haha it's rather funny really I feel sort of the same way (exceot for the quitting part) some times I feel like I am unable to improve and it is really frustrating. I'm sure you're your own biggest critic though, and that may be why you can't see an improvement. If you truly feel horrible with your kicks talk to your instrustor because I am sure he'd be willing to spend more time with you to give extra help, or some other helpful solution. lastly I'd like to say don't be so hard on your self, of course you have a future in the style you study.

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata