• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you address your instructor and why?

ps1

What do you call your instructor?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call your instructor?

• Sensei
    • Shihan
    • Renshi
    • Hanshi
    • By Name
    • Other

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I address my senseis (3rd/4thdan) as sensei, and my shihan (5th dan) as shihan...i call them by their correct titles I suppose?

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

Myself, I've always said 'sensei' for who's teaching the class, and 'sempei' for the other black belts in the class....why?

It's all I've known to do...where I train that's the way it is, simple as that.

Think before you act, but act before it's too late.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3535/siggydemo58lq.jpg

(Images aren't allowed, but if you want, take a peek for yourself ^ )

A break down of titles, if you will, as I understand them and their kanji:

"Soke" - "Founder." Guys who found a system can sort of legitimately call themselves "soke." Blood descendants of the founders can also sort of legitimately call themselves "soke."

"Sosai" - "Commander-in-chief." I mention this title only because Mas Oyama adopted this title when conducting official business on behalf of the Kyokushin organization, but yeah, it means "commander-in-chief." Mas Oyama originally adopted the title "kancho" which means "captain" or "leader", but it's also the same word for "enema" in Japanese, hence the switch to "sosai."

"Hanshi" - "Exemplary person." While typically used to denote the master of a system, it is actually an honorary title given to individuals who have distinguished themselves in their art and who are...well...exemplary human beings. It isn't a title someone gives himself just because he starts his own system or takes over a system; traditionally, this title is awarded to an individual by his students or by an organized body of instructors. "Hanshi" could best be thought of as a Ph.D.

"Kyoshi" - "Master teacher" or "Teacher's teacher." An individual who obtained a significant degree of mastery of a style and was competent enough to open and run his own school was given a shihan no menkyo and could officially accept the "kyoshi" title. A "kyoshi" could best be thought of as a master's degree. As an aside, in Japan, college professors are also called "kyoshi."

"Shihan" - The same as "kyoshi", and obviously derives its name from the shihan no menkyo.

"Renshi" - "Expert." Literally, the kanji reads "practicioner" - "ren = practice, shi = person." I'm not familiar enough with the history of the use of this title, and I have only known two people going by this title. However, think of it as a bachelor's degree.

"Sensei" - "One who has gone before." It would be simple to say "teacher", but in Japan "sensei" is also used for doctors, lawyers, and other professionals. The kanji means something along the order of "one who has gone before." In terms of martial arts, your instructor is further along the path than you are (ideally), and it is his job not so much to be better than you than it is to continue to be further ahead on the path and serve as your guide. I'm sure you know guys or have students that are/were way better than you are/were, but as a "sensei" it is one's responsibility to be the pathfinder ahead of the students in order to guide them.

"Sempai" - "Senior." Actually, not quite that easily translatable as "senior" really doesn't do it justice. But, the sempai-kohai relationship is basically a senior-junior/mentor-mentee relationship. Someone could be "sempai" because they are older. Someone could be "sempai" because they are higher ranking. Someone could be "sempai" because they are more experienced. It depends on the basis of the relationship. For example, Mr. Bobby Lowe is the Sempai of the entire Kyokushin organization; that is, he is the oldest living and longest training of any of Mas Oyama's students. However, there are obviously people in the organization that outrank him, seeing how he is not involved in running it. The basis of his sempai-ship is age and time spent under Oyama.

"O'(fill-in-the-blank)" - an attempt to make a title honorable. You might see references to Ueshiba O'Sensei as an attempt to honor him and his accomplishments in aikido.

"Dai'(fill-in-the-blank)" - an attempt to emphasize seniority. The most senior assistant instructor in a dojo (the master's right hand man) was traditionally referred to as "dai-sempai." For example, Chosin Chibana was the dai-sempai in Itosu's dojo during Itosu's latter days. Mr. Bobby Lowe would properly be referred to as the dai-sempai of Mas Oyama's kyokushin. I've also seen awkward combinations with references to "dai-sensei."

"kodansha" - "high dan holders." Literally, "high dan society." You might have a group of senior instructors who call themselves "kodansha" ot will call their group a "kodanshakai."

"yudansha" - "holders of dan." Literally, "have dan society." If you have a black belt, you are a "yudansha."

"mudansha" - "no dan holders." Literally, "no dan society." If you have a brown belt or below, you are a "mudansha."

That about rounds out my knowledge of possible titles one may encounter in a dojo. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle...

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

Yo Joe!!!

Great reply skeptic. Very thorough. Does/did your instructor require you to call him/her anything in particular? Or did you simply choose to address him/her in a certian way or just follow suit with others who used a particular title?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Sorry skeptic. I somehow missed your previous response on the first page. Again, quite thorough. If you would like to see more information on Viol Sensei's credentials, please visit the following site:

http://www.seishinkan.com/seishin/sskstaff/johnviolshihan01.html

The main site is https://www.seishinkan.com

There is a plethora of informatin on the site, so I have given the first site as a direct means of seeing more information about Viol Sensei.

I'm assuming he received the Menkyo Kaiden for his study of iai? Like I mentioned, I don't know of any weaponless arts that awarded a Menkyo Kaiden.

Like I mentioned, I call my instructor "sensei" because I think it's appropriate. He really doesn't see himself as a master or much of a teacher; he thinks that we're all a bunch of guys that like to work out together, and it just so happens that he's been doing it longer than any of us so he knows a little bit more (he's the one who informed me of "sensei" not meaning teacher so much as what I just explained above). He never specified a preference when I met him.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

I have never had problems calling an instructor "sensei".

I asked a judo instructor that I know reguarding this issue. He stated that his instructor Sumiyuki Kotani, one of judo's 10th dans, simply went by sensei.

Tiltes like Renshi and Kyoshi are realy degrees of learning and teaching like Skeptic said.

If you recieved a B.S. in chemistry would you have people calling you "Bachelor of Science Joe Smith" ?

When i'm with my instructor I call him Perry Sensei, when I talk about him to write about him it's Mr. Perry.

I have had instructors that asked to be called by their first name outside of class, but they were closer to my age.

It simply comes down to respect, what ever they want to be called.

Too early in the morning? Get up and train.

Cold and wet outside? Go train.

Tired? Weary of the whole journey and longing just for a moment to stop and rest? Train. ~ Dave Lowry

Why do we fall, sir? So that we may learn how to pick ourselves back up. ~ Alfred Pennyworth

Skeptic,

Yes, you are correct, although he also has this certification in the staff weapons as well. All of my training with Viol Sensei is in the weponry arts that sorround classical bujitsu training. Everything included weapons, although he is quite adept with empty handed skills as well. Again, thank you for your input.

The reason for this post is this. I was in the school of a friend to help him out for an evening. I heard a student call him Sensei. He then scolded the student and told him he is not a Sensei, but a Shihan (as dictated by his orginization, 5th degree).

Later, after class of course, I spoke with him in regards to the incident. He didn't believe me that most master instructors are quite honored and content when a student calls them Sensei.