• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you address your instructor and why?

ps1

What do you call your instructor?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call your instructor?

• Sensei
    • Shihan
    • Renshi
    • Hanshi
    • By Name
    • Other

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I call my instructor Shihan. At our school, I address all black belts as Sensei until 4th dan in which they are renshi, then shihan at 6th dan. Out of respect this is done inside and outside the dojo. In fairness though, I am not friends with the head instructor, he is my mentor, a father figure, a teacher, so I do not have a problem with this, and would not ever feel comfortable by addressing him by his first name. It is all I have ever known, so do as I am asked. My friends whom are ranked, I usually call them by title in the dojo, and by their first name outside if they have asked me to do so.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I called him whatever he wanted me to. :D
:D Where does a 500 pound gorilla sleep? ;)

I call my sensei "sensei" or "sensei [his first name". He's actually a shihan sensei, but we don't call him by that rank. IIRC shihan is a rank of sensei. (Is that right?)

Kata is like a good stir-fry: preparation and timing are everything.

Well, here is my take on this. I lived in Japan for most of the 90's so I can only tell you what I did on a day to day basis. This is, of course, colored by the opinions of my sensei and others (japanese) I've trained and lived with. I addressed my teacher as *name sensei (8th dan as well as Shihan) inside and outside the Dojo as I also did with my Japanese language teacher, my university professor and my dentist and doctor. This is part of the normal everyday use of the language. Usually it announces to others that the person with the title is a professor or doctor, which is a person of distinction and deep study. There is also body language which demonstrates mibun. This is evident with the clinking of classes before consuming beverages such as beer and sake, or the height of the class as its raised,( if classes do not permit clinking ). Bowing also takes on a similar importance. A person of substantial mibun will nod or dip ever so slightly or not at all where subordinates, depending on status may go as far as to nearly bounce their foreheads off the floor. I have encountered the use of Kiyoshi in north america for 7th and 8th dans etc... and I thought this odd. Kiyoshi in japanese means teacher (literally, context not withstanding of course). In Japan, this title is implied, and understood but I can not once ever recall it being spoken.

This does not make me an expert on this topic in any way. Conscientious about my ediquitte, I have asked my friends(Japanese) and teachers how to show my respect for their position. I have on more than one occasion received the comment that I was extremely polite and respectful. Perhaps this was more of a reflection of my efforts rather than correct iron clad ediquitte.