• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you address your instructor and why?

ps1

What do you call your instructor?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call your instructor?

• Sensei
    • Shihan
    • Renshi
    • Hanshi
    • By Name
    • Other

Hello all,

I have a question that concerns etiquette and appropriate translation. In my training, particularly that training concerning Japanese and Okinawan arts, I have learned many titles that concern instructors of differing levels. Menkyo Kaidan, Shihan, Sensei, Renshi, Shidoin, Jokyo, Hanshi, Sempei ect…

Anytime I have learned of a new title I was always taught it’s proper usage and to whom each belongs. However, the title that has always shown the most honor to an instructor was always taught to be Sensei. This is because the translation is said to be somewhere in the realm of a Father figure, guide in life, or pointer of the way. I have trained with Menkyo Kaidan (an extremely high and rare teaching certification from ancient Ryu of Japan) and called him Sensei…he never brought it up as an issue (nor did his senior students). In fact, it’s often been taught to me that asking to be referred to as of those terms is quite rude. It’s like asking someone to call you “Joe the wonderful or Barbara the great.”

Now that I have placed some background into my topic, here’s the question.

Does your instructor ask to be called by one of these terms/ prefer you use one over the other, and why? Or…why do YOU prefer to address your instructor using one term rather than another?

This question is to settle an issue with another instructor who, like myself, regards the posts in this forum very highly.

While everyone’s opinion is always valuable, I would appreciate that most responses come from those who have also been training for quite some time, or speak fluent Japanese, or have an instructor who has trained in Japan for an extended period of time.

Thank you,

PS1

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use the title Sensei for all black belts at our school.

Of course when you think about it, I guess all titles are trivial, but I think they can serve a purpose too. Just like bowing, I think you still need something to remind you that you aren't the center of everyone else's universe.

The thing is too, martial arts should be taken seriously. I don't know how serious I would be when I started if I called my instructor "Joe" and we had a beer after class and talked about politics. Know what I mean?

Titles can serve as a necessary separation between student and instructor.

My instructor (my father) allows people to choose how they want to address him. Some feel more comfortable calling him Sensei, others feel more comfortable calling him Sensei. He doesn't mind either way and I think that is a good idea.

I am not into all of these titles as it is forcing respect upon someone, rather than the person earning respect.

In our school, we have only one Sensei (the head instructor). Anyone else that teaches or just helps out in class is addressed as Sempai... or at least they should be (sometimes people forget).

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Some feel more comfortable calling him Sensei, others feel more comfortable calling him Sensei.

huh?!?

Hehehe, oops. Some feel comfortable calling him Sensei, others feel comfortable calling him by his given name.

I call my instructor in TKD Master K, just out of respect. But he perfers "Mr."

In Jujitsu, I call my instructor Sensei, again, out of respect. But I don't think he really minds what you call him, except late for dinner LOL. Sorry Sensei, I had to poke fun at ya ;) Don't hurt me .....

Laurie F

Some feel more comfortable calling him Sensei, others feel more comfortable calling him Sensei.

huh?!?

Hehehe, oops. Some feel comfortable calling him Sensei, others feel comfortable calling him by his given name.

.....and Some feel comfortable calling him Sensei "Dad". :)

Before I answer, I thought I would address something that sounded very odd to me:

I have trained with Menkyo Kaidan (an extremely high and rare teaching certification from ancient Ryu of Japan)

As far as I know, this is not a title. The menkyo kaiden is a Japanese adaptation of the Chinese secret scrolls a disciple would receive after having trained and learned under a master. The menkyo kaiden was primarily passed on by practicioners of kenjutsu and served three purposes: first it served as certification of an individual's mastery of the sword style. Second, it contained either the "hidden" or "secret" techniques of the style. Thirdly, the holder of the menkyo kaiden was the successor of the style. As far as I know, use of the menkyo kaiden was limited to swordsmanship.

The shihan no menkyo is the karate equivalent, absent a scroll possessing the "hidden" or "secret" techniques since karate does not have any (everything is in the kata). The shihan no menkyo served as both certification of one's mastery over a style and as an endorsement by the master of one's qualifications to open his or her own school and teach. Kenjutsu schools also issued the shihan no menkyo (Sokon Matsumura received a shihan no menkyo from a Jigen Ryu kenjutsu master during his sojourn in Satsuma).

To make this really long story really short, someone calling himself "Menkyo Kaidan" sounds fishy. Students calling him "Menkyo Kaidan" do not understand what it means. I'm not passing judgment on anyone, and I know nothing about this particular individual or his students, but "Menkyo Kaidan" sounds odd to me.

I guess this sort of leads me to a not so minor point: people run around calling themselves (or overly eager students call them) all these titles, and they generally have no idea what any of these titles mean nor what they connote. And sadly, because of this, many of the titles have lost their weight and/or meaning. All you have to do is look in the phonebook for martial art schools to see what I'm talking about.

To answer the question, I call my instructor "sensei" because I feel it is appropriate and because I understand what it means when I say it.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com