• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata is a waste of time

dafabe

And on a more practical level, kata, like any movement drills, help us to develop conditioned reflexes so that our movements can become reflex, almost intuitive. Most katas also practise moves to both left and right sides, practice which is often omitted from regular training.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2002-04-25 08:27, Bitseach wrote:

And on a more practical level, kata, like any movement drills, help us to develop conditioned reflexes so that our movements can become reflex, almost intuitive. Most katas also practise moves to both left and right sides, practice which is often omitted from regular training.

Very true Bitseach. To a degree i was always ambidextrous but i now find that i am as strong and proficient off either side. This may not be attributed to Kata alone but i am sure they have had a part to play. Simple things like now being able to write fluidly with both hands,Using tools/weapons equally strong and accurately with either side. Came as a pleasant surprise when realisation hit :up:

Grant.

• 3 weeks later...

Kata is part of karate. Our instructor use part of a kata to teach us self-defense or kumite. I took TKD and I didn't learn to much for one year. I'm been taking Shotokan for 3 years and I learn more than you think! Of course kata is not everything but is an important part of karate.

_________

Pick your friends but not to pieces :angel:

Yes, very helpful but the true is at the bottom of the page. See note 3 and change Iai-Do for Karate-Do...

You can also see what a Grand Master thinks about Kata and some "traditional" practices. Read the interview with Jon Bluming (10th dan Karate, 9th dan Judo, he also holds black belts in Iai-do and Jo-do and was friend of Don Draeger), the man who brought Kyokushin to Europe.

http://www.realfighting.com/0102/jonblumi.htm

Gosh, interesting but what a thoroughly unpleasant man! His language is terrible, and the racist and homophobic comments just sound pathetic! (not that I'd say any of this to his face - heh heh!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:lol:

Yes, he's not politically correct but for that very reason I appreciate him. In the today's world there are so many hypocrites that it feels good when you found someone who talks his/her real thoughts.

Many people thinks Grand Masters are just like Miyagi Sensei from Karate Kid movie...

By the way, I don't think Shihan Bluming insulted neither gay people neither any race. :???: He has his reasons to speak about JKA people that way, but that's another story...

A true living legend, anyway.

Well, he was certainly interesting reading!

(He doesn't seem to have much respect for Asian people and he referred to some group as being a "fairy group" - hence my comments!) Certainly a character though! :smile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• 5 weeks later...

"without Kata, ther is no Karate." Funakoshi Gichin

"Forms are the soul of Tae Kwon Do, all else is merely thuggish behaviour" Chun Rhin Moon (Richard)

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Kata are basically an artistic form of repetetive training. I disagree with a lot of the methods employed by Karate instructors, which tend to go along the lines of: do this kata; when you're done, do that kata, blah blah blah blah blah...

Before you teach someone a kata, I think it is important that they know what the kata means. Show them the techniques, show them how they are applied, and let them figure out how it all fits in to the kata. That way, they are putting together the puzzle as they perform, instead of just copying movements. Beyond this, the primary purpose of kata is sort of as an encyclopedia of the art's techniques.

A lot of people hate kata, and that is understandable, but the key to it all is understanding the kata. Only then will it do you any good.

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P