• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata is a waste of time

dafabe

Anyone ever heard of " Muscle Memory" ? I saw it on once on some documentary.

learning something builds a neural path so you can remember it but as Tia-Kwon whatever said, performing the same physical movement over and over again builds a special neural path so when you want to do the move you do not have to think about how to do it, just that you want to do it and your body takes over.

I agree totally with what ti-kwon.. said, tai chi is a recognised form of meditation, but isn't it just a Kata slowed right down ?

I have read somewhere and it seems obvious from some o f the moves that Tai Chi can be speeded up into an effective MA and that it was devised to let Martial artists meditate will still practising their forms. Anyone know if this is true ??

Just my opinions, toast me if you want :lol:

------------

Understanding what you do not understand is far more important than what you know.

[ This Message was edited by: SeiDoRyu on 2002-04-22 14:38 ]

Just my opinions, toast me if you want :lol:

------------

Understanding what you do not understand is far more important than what you think you know.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a short tai chi class, and can tell you that very strong self-defense techniques are hidden in those forms. Of course just like kata, the purpose of learning the form is not to use the movements literally in a fight (which is why the usual argument that you're probably not going to drop into zenkutsu dachi and throw a double punch in a street fight is so pointless), and also like kata every single movement has meaning/purpose, and they all have various bunkai that can be applied. So while you can't literally learn the forms and then do them fast to defend yourself, you can practice the hidden techniques using the principles the forms teach you and find a full fledged and quite formidible martial art. From my tiny experience with it I thought tai chi was really cool, would like to study it for real someday.

Nicely put Taokara and Patriot! :karate:

While sparring helps students to compare their fighting skills to those of other students, kata helps students to critically evaluate their own individual techniques in a controlled situation. Kata marks the progress of a student's development. Higher ranks have more complex katas that challenge them to increase their level of discipline and proficiency.

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Black Tae Kwon Do

CardioKickboxing/Fitness Inst.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-04-22 13:49 ]

this is an interesting thread...i don't know much about kata's i suppose any sort of practice is good though, i don't train karate...i just think it's interesting...i study brazillian jiu jitsu. very good opinions you guys have, i learned a few things...

(oh to the guy who mentioned the broken nose thing...that will kill a man one out of a few million times (it's very unlikly that a fragment will actuall get anywhere really damaging)...it actually just tends to make the person fall down and there eyes will tear up something fierce...it's a great move for getting someone down in a hurry. see what movies do?! do ya? heh)

" The art of Kung Fu San Soo lies not in victory or defeat, but in the building of human character." Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo

Here are some of the aspects that i enjoy about Kata.

They teach you discipline and control.

Balance is essential to be able to perform them well.

As you progress stance translations are introduced as well as multiple hand techniques.

Cooordination is improved.

You are taught to control breathing to remain relaxed but still maintain strength and power.

Many of the simplest movements have multiple applications. (Bunkai)

It is a damned good workout. Generally speaking when we are grading the Kata are performed immediately following free sparring. Your reserves are low and it is a good test of stamina and being able to perform under pressure. Quite often you are acting on reflex alone to complete the exercise. Excellent way to train you mind to cope under stress and improve mental endurance.

Definitely a sense of fulfilment as you progress and master each Kata.

Regards Grant.