• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata is a waste of time

dafabe

Hello, all

Interseting thread going, but in the process some people have lost site of a few things.

First, you either like doing Kata or you dont like doing Kata. Second It does not matter what style of MA you study every style is different, even thought all MA have common roots in history dating back centuries ago. So, for people to stand back and say one is better than the other is useless and serves no purpose but to take away from the martial spirit of this topic/thread.

Third, the one thing that people forget (which has been stated before) is that Kata trains your subconsuios (spelled wrong sorry) to react before you act that way thier is no thinking just action.. Think of it this way, before you started traiing your Kata's, the glass from the cuboard would fall when you open it every time and you would jump out of the way. Well after doing your kata and training for awhile you catch the glass without thinking.

To put a better point to it all, Karate practioners should know this one but some don't i think, Gichin Funakoshi said it best when he said" The ultinate aim of the Martial Arts lies not in victory or defeat. Instead it lies in the perfection of those who participate."

What does it matter if one art can beat the next, it really doesnt we all train for different reasons and we all enjoy it for different reasons, thier is more than just the kick and the punch its what you feel inside of you, and the ones that teach it to you.

Fourthly, Where ever you go in the world the training from dojo to dojo or organization to organization will be different. No, two places are the same, some will train harder than others and some will train litter than others. You will more likely train harder and more fercily (sorry wrong spelling) in a country say like Trindad than you will U.S or will train harder any where in South America than you will Canada. Reason being those people face death, rape and everything else on a daily basis. So think about who is the one who might just fight harder the one attacking you or the one being attacked. You must also take into acount the laws of that country in which you train, because some are stricter than others or the law in that country or province of that country looks badly on certain methods used in training, so each organization must change to fit the situation.

So before you start comparing all the arts and what they can do and how hard they train remeber that alot of people live the arts every day and train every day for there lives, no matter the art they train in.

To finish up, (sorry for taking so long) the more you put into what you do no matter what MA you do the more you will get out of it. Stop asking the questions and enjoy the ride for what it is worth.. THe destination is not as important as the adventure getting thier. :D

P.S- Answer me this, if a person puts in 10 years of Karate-Ka training and the other person puts in 6 months of Muay Ti and 6 months of boxing who do you think will get the most out of what they have done.

P.S. One more thing in japanese "Shodan" or first degree black means the first step or begining. So everything you do from white to brown is basically basics for black or preparation for black.

Thats it.. Apoliges for taking so long

Stacy

"Believing in the martial spirit"

Japanese Goju-ryu Karate-Ka

Tai chi Chaun

Kobudo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my own training, I have found that the kata, if done correctly, can help to ingrain certain stances and postures into the instinct of the body...thus becoming almost muscle memory.

In Peace---Joshua

There are no limits.

Last night we were practicing being attacked in a certain way, and were to respond differently each time we were attacked (not preplanned, just doing whatever comes to mind).

When I used a move out of a kata, someone said "Hey, no fair! That's out of a kata!" I responded, "That's allowed, we ARE doing karate, aren't we?" Sensei just smiled, and later demonstrated another move someone had used that could be a bunkai application of one of the kata (the move I used was first level application and was easier to spot). I was surprised that bunkai didn't occur to anyone else, or if it did, was deemed "unfair". :roll:

Perhaps part of the problem is they weren't doing this much in the last couple years; I heard from a few other students that this type of exercise hasn't been done often since I was gone, so I mentioned it last week and lo and behold it is BACK! Good thing, too...prearranged stuff is good, but we need to build instant reactions and an ability to go with the flow, too.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I like random attack exercises too. I do them alot at my jiu-jitsu class in V's and circles. Really gets the blood and adrenaline going, and shows you where your techniques is sucky.

We used to do alot of spontaneous defences in Ippon Kumite at my old Shokukai club. BUt now I'm at uni and doing Wado-ryu we all do oyos yakosokus and jions. Pre-arranged drills. Which are good but prevents spontaneity and experimentation. Its a shame not many clubs try such measures you're very lucky.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

kata's are important make's your balance better and make kicking and punching faster and more powerful. poeple who think kata's are all poo make you mad :evil:

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker

Kata is a personal choice for improvement in my opinion. Personally, kata is a waste of MY time, and I will get no where doing it. How will kata help me in Kali? It won't! How will kata help me in Muay Thai? It won't!

But if you find that kata helps YOU in your training then do it, work on it, improve on it. Yet it all comes down to personal choice and improvement.