• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata is a waste of time

dafabe

Yeah indeed BKJ. In Karate we gather in order to drink tea, recite haikus, take care of ikebana and of course writing Kanji :D

Wake up to the real world and stop saying nonsenses. When judging a certain art be sure you know enough to last you in a direct "combat" (in the words of course) with the practitioners and instructors in that style.

Karate is for self-defence. Yeah it is, if you've read some posts in karateforums you'll come to notice we had many debates cause other "genius" said karate is not for self-defence.

Karate is combat for Goodness sake. It's hard, it's effective, it's "war".

Read more about the stuff. You'll be amazed :karate:

Till then happy reading and posting. Prepare for the big day. May 12th? or something :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karate isn't mean to be a fighintg art. It is meant for self defense.

Karate is too many a way of life; it encompasses more than just fighting skills.

It is as offensive as it is defensive, don’t be fooled into thinking that a person skilled in this art is going to wait for you to throw the first punch so they can use self defence to defend themselves.

Kata is only a training tool used to perfect the art of Karate.

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Karate isn't mean to be a fighintg art. It is meant for self defense.

I know that I am not alone here.... and OK I will be the one to step up to the plate and bat one out to BKJ first .....

BKJ1216.... do us all a favor and come back and post your knowledge of karate after you get some!... May 12th yeah yeah we know already!!

oh BTW John .... :up: :)

Kata is an important aspect of karate. For example, how many times have you been practicing a kata and about half way through you find yourself doing a different kata? This indicated that your mind has linked techniques together in combinations, arming you with a powerful arsenal of self defenses. It somewhat rediculous to thinkt that the purpose of a kata is to defend yourself against multiple attackers and such, as there is no way that the battle is going to resemble in any way what is modeled in the kata. Instead, a kata is a database of techniques and combinations cleverly aranged into a series, maybe even with a centralized theme, to make them more convenient or more fun and interresting to learn. Go to https://www.24fightingchickens.com and read the section on kata. It may give some insight into kata that you didn't consider before.

I practice Shaolin Kung fu, Karate, and Tai kwando. I do not consider boxing a very good martial art. There are many flaws in it.

As far as boxers having good technique.... That is 100% false. Boxers wear sparring gloves and when they are in a real fight, don't know how to position their fingers and end up breaking them 70% of the time in a fight.

A kata allows you to perfect every technique. I have never taken boxing or kick boxing in my life, however I find these fighters they easiest to beat in a fight because they have to since of kata. They simply throw punches and kicks every 5 seconds which is easy for myself to manuever around because the katas have taught me speed, balance, body positioning, blocks , CORRECT PUNCHES AND KICKS, and much more. Most importantly they have taught me to concentrate so I am not merely throwing punches and kicks. Boxing is a fun sport but I would in no way say it is better than Asian martial arts.... it is far more inferior.

Some people want to practice karate as an art, and for them, the kata are an important element, regardless of whether they see any self-defense utility in the kata.

Some want to practice karate for self-defense, but they practice in a system that does not teach useful applications. They rightly question whether the practice of kata is worthwhile.

Some want to practice karate for self-defense, but practice in a system that does teach useful applications. Kata for these students can have great value.

I think the real problem is that many, many schools that do teach kata do not teach applications that students find useful.

I practice and teach a kata-focused system. I have been fortunate to have learned extraordinarly good self-defense applications for the kata I practice. I do recognize that I am likely in a small minority.

Indeed you are in the small minority. I'd like to learn more applications to my kata.

I second that. Application in kata becomes horrifically apparent after the techniques are shown. I got my first taste of the technique behind the very beginning of nahanchi shodan when I got slapped in the groin and fought to stay standing. Good katas will lead to good technique when taken seriously and practiced a lot.

Know thyself.

i think this argument is more about traditional versus non traditional styles. i personally prefer traditional because a major reason for my study of karate is love of the japanese culture. kanji is fine! and green tea aint bad if you sweetenen it right and get used to it. :roll:

:kaioken:

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty