• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata is a waste of time

dafabe

Having read many of the threads relating to this topic, no one seems to have touched on the fact that Kata is an interelated aspect of Karate or other MA Styles. The relationship between Kata and Kumite teaches us on how to respond to real-life situations. Kata teaches us techniques that can be helpful in Kumite. Fighting from different angles and multi apponents. It teaches you coordination and focus which can then be related to your fight. Don't you think? And besides, Kata is also defined as the "artistic" side to Karate. It's nice to be able to express that side of us too!

:D :brow:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Katas are the essence of Karate, without them Karate would be the mere learning of various fighting and self-defense techniques, expressing nothing and allowing for no aesthetic development. Katas are the distilled concentrated wisdom, understanding, and experience of hundreds of great karate peak awareness. When one begins to understand them one glimpses a new world of untold internal riches. The primary meaning of the kata is for the performer himself. If he is unable to immerse himself in the kata and so release his emotions, or life force, a master will say of the performer that he is still "in the dance", that is, unable to emote or express his feelings at will. This poignant karate saying has an even more profound when the sensei refers to a student "coming out of the dance". This is the highest compliment one can recieve. The eventual perfection of the katas lead not only to mastery of the basic forms and techniques, but also to physical and spiritual sensitivity and to complete control of all parts of the body.

A good Karateka first develops his katas to perfection and later perfects his Jul-Kumite (sparring) ability.

The above is a small portion from my Hon-Shin-Do handbook. I believe katas train your body to act without thinking which is important in a real conflict senario. It only takes a split second of hesitation and you'll be picking yourself up off the ground (if your lucky). One must act without thinking.

That's my opinion.

:karate: :D

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

The primary meaning of the kata is for the performer himself. If he is unable to immerse himself in the kata and so release his emotions, or life force, a master will say of the performer that he is still "in the dance", that is, unable to emote or express his feelings at will. This poignant karate saying has an even more profound when the sensei refers to a student "coming out of the dance"

This piece was written about "Kata" from a Sensei Hazard that I filed away ... and your post brought it to mind. I'll share it with you .... :)

"First there is the technique, the form, the movement, the dance.

Then there is the application, the meaning, the understanding, which gives purpose to the movement and dance.

Add the spirit, the feeling and the soul and you give the whole thing power and life.

To perform kata without any of these attitudes, technique, application and feeling is not enough.

The dance alone may look quite beautiful but means nothing.

To understand the purpose without the dance "technique" is just controlled aggression.

The technique and purpose together will look good - but is not all.

Any athlete can obtain these attributes in sport.

But add spirit and the feeling , the performers natural timing and breathing - so important to fluency of movement - and the kata rises above athletics or sport and into the realms of the martial arts"

Wow! That was great Kickchick. Thanks for sharing that with me. In my style we do quite a few katas and I still have a long way to go. My Hanshi is very good about explaining the kata and each move and its purpose. I'm grateful for that, I think some who don't like kata don't fully understand its meaning (i could be wrong :P ). I hope it's OK for me to share your post with my fellow students and Hanshi. I think Hanshi will really like it and read it to our class. :D

Thanks again for the post. You got anymore good stuff? :)

G

-Gichin Funakoshi

I guess I did leave that one wide open. I should know better than that, being Martial Artist and all. :lol: Never leave an opening to expose yourself. I'll do better! :lol:

Thanks again!

G

-Gichin Funakoshi

I guess it's not kata that is a waste of time but this thread which is quite useless. We all KNOW kata is important for a karateka, If in your style you have to study katas, do it. If you don't like, move on to another style. It's that easy.

Coming here to say kata is a waste of time is like saying karate is detrimental, remember that beautiful thread :)

Let's become mature :D

OTOH, the subject is quite thrilling ... look at the number of posts here :o

• 1 month later...

KATA IS A WASTE OF TIME????

Wait a minute. Seems like somebody here has understood something wrong in karate.

KATA is the most important thing in karate. Without katas, karate would be boring and not so interesting. Guess why I started to practise karate.... Here's the answer: BECAUSE I WAS INTERESTED IN THE MOVEMENTS IN KARATE WHICH YOU ACTUALLY MOSTLY DO IN KATAS.

Kill is love