• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata is a waste of time

dafabe

Hello Mark,

Well my dojo promotes both kata and kumite. I am to junior to be doing kumite yet though. As mentioned in another post here, I am still a white belt.

Allan

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am to junior to be doing kumite yet though. As mentioned in another post here, I am still a white belt.

No problem about that ... in a way we are all "whites" till we become masters :D

For Mark: ... excelent sie. i loved it. And the karate sucks article ...

For all the others: Karate would be nothing without kata. Have you ever seen a total stranger in your dojo looking amazed while you perform kata?

Their face make it worth to learn kata :D :D :D

• 1 month later...
when I did MA in the past I took part in a kungfu class at the ymca. we did katas all the time. i found it improved my balance, breathing and helped a lot with prefecting striking techniques. I am no MA pro, however I know what i personally gained. You also learn some tradition with the art you study.

J.

I'm not going to pore over all 8 pages of material here, so I may be just repeating what someone has already said.

I don't believe that katas are a waste of time.

Katas improve power, speed, flexibility, and memory capabilities.

Power in kata can be a crucial step to having power and agression in fighting.

Sometimes, katas are the only thing that keeps a school from being just a Fight Club.

Besides which, katas have given me quite a few pretty trophies ;)

:lol:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I don't believe that katas are a waste of time.

Katas improve power, speed, flexibility, and memory capabilities.

Power in kata can be a crucial step to having power and agression in fighting.

Now heres a first, I agree with MonkeyGirl :o :o :o

Whats next??? Me doing a 540???

The possibilities are endless :brow: :brow: :D

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Kata is only a waste of time if yo are not interessted in becoming a skilled karateka

I agree superleeds!

For Boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Sambo, Pankration, Shoot Fighting and other styles, Kata is just a waste of time and will not improve their training. It's only good for becoming a skilled Karateka.

Limits Are Not Accepted. They Are Elbowed, Kicked And Punched.

Kata is only a waste of time if yo are not interessted in becoming a skilled karateka.

Superleeds ... if you are not interested in becoming a skilled karateka do OTHER style. Is it that difficult to understand? If you do karate, you learn kata. If you don't want to do katas, there are many other styles in which you are not subjected to this "pain".

And katas are not done just to become a skilled karateka, are done in order to have acces to training. You must do push ups or squats as part of your training and in karate you must do katas. Is simple as that.

And a question for you superleeds: are you doing karate? If not, I guess the thread is useless. I won't discuss JKD or even TKD because I've never done a training sesion in those styles, thus I guess it's futile discussing them and criticising.

Sorry for the post ... I'm angry :kaioken: :D :D :D