• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sanchin (Shuri-te)

kurome

Does anyone here have a recording of any kind of a Sanchin comming from Shuri? I have never seen any of them, and I hear they are very intense kata, but unfortunatly there is no one in my dojo (save for my Shihan) who knows the kata, and I'm not about to ask him.

"You all come from different instructors, so as I look around the room I may see many different

ways of preforming this kata, however, if you are turning left and I turn right, we have a problem."

-Renshi Thomas Apsokardu (Godan, Okinawa Kenpo Karate Kobudo Koryu Kan)

Matthew Sullivan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I believe the Shuri version is a little different...

"You all come from different instructors, so as I look around the room I may see many different

ways of preforming this kata, however, if you are turning left and I turn right, we have a problem."

Matthew Sullivan

Sanchin is a kata rooted in Chinese martial arts, and I believe it has both Naha and Shuri versions.

I have practiced this kata in both Shito-Ryu and Shindo-Jinen Ryu. In both cases, the kata was virtually identical, (Mostly slow movement, high degree of dynamic tension, closed hands.) and I believe it is the most common version. Additionally, since Shito-Ryu is usually classified as a Shuri-Te descendent, and Shindo-Jinen Ryu incorporates some elements of Shito-Ryu (and to be fair, Goju-Ryu, which is a Naha descendent), I believe it to be the "Shuri version" you reference.

I believe there is another version with faster movement and open (bladed) hands, that is practiced within Uechi-Ryu. Since Uechi-Ryu is a Naha-Te descendent however, I'm guessing this is not the version in which you're interested.

In any case, you can find a solid demonstration of the Shito-Ryu version of Sanchin on "The Higaonna Kata of Seito Shito Ryu," which is available from The Martial Source at http://www.martialsource.com/shitoryuvideos.htm (scroll down, it's the second video).

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

gee, I always that it came from naha te...

:(

;)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Sorry PBI, but the variation you're talking about is the Naha-te variation. Tsuru Sanchin was the variation I was looking for, but I couldn't remember the name.

Matthew Sullivan

gee, I always that it came from naha te...

:( ;)

Nope, Sanchin is actually a Chinese form. Uechi Ryu does it closer to the original Chinese version than Goju or Shuri versions. Miyagi modified it to close the hands, slowed it down and added more dynamic tension. He then developed Tensho so there would be two sides to the coin. One hard (Sanchin) and the other soft (Tensho)

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone here have a recording of any kind of a Sanchin comming from Shuri? I have never seen any of them, and I hear they are very intense kata, but unfortunatly there is no one in my dojo (save for my Shihan) who knows the kata, and I'm not about to ask him.

As others have said, the basis of Uechi-Ryu revolve around Sanchin. If you want a video of a Uechi-Ryu version. Go to George Mattson's web site Uechi-ryu.com then look for the video. I also think there was a thread where folks posted clips of their Kata. Minor differences between some very good folks, but all Sanchin.

As for breathing, and internal, these are the difficult parts of mastering Sanchin. In Uechi-Ryu, Sanchin is the first of the 8 kata that you learn. It has the fewest moves, but it is a very hard kata to master as it is more than just the moves. Keeping your body tense except for the limbs your moving, managing your breathing, and focus are all advanced techniques that take years to perfect.

Also it's said that Sanchin works the whole body and that you should do 3 a day for good health. All I can say about this is that doing Sanchin properly is a tough workout and we all know that exercise is important, and Sanchin is a great exercise.