• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why fight?

jaymac and pride&poise have said it, and ill re-enforce it.

Avoid these situations first, and then only fight as a last resort.

Thats not to say that training should not be done in these areas, but a better lesson, IMO, is to learn to avoid these confrontations/situations in the first place.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

There is a continuum of confrontation that I think most are unaware of. What are we talking about when we say 'fight'? What are we training for when we do our martial art? Is sparring fighting? Three points along the continuum....

1) Sparring in the dojo is NOT fighting. This is training and should have the same mental effect as practicing calligraphy. I hope Kempo Tiger that you didn't mean that those that advocate walking away should consider not engaging in this type of training?

2) Square-off fight. Two combatants who can't find another way to resolve their differences other than slugging it out. I think this is what most of you are referring to here and I maintain that I can’t think of a situation where you have to engage in this kind of foolishness. Similar to Aodhan’s story (full marks), I was once ‘sucker’ kicked from behind as I was trying to convince someone to walk away from a drunken argument. I happened to be drinking out of a bottle at the time which smashed on my face, cutting just below my bottom lip. Blood streaming from my face I turned to face my three assailants and asked which one did it. They ran off in a panic. Had I ran at them with all guns blazing, someone would have been hospitalised and three on one isn’t good odds.

3) Real self-defence situation. This is what we train for. We’re not learning MA to try and become the best brawler in town, but to defend ourselves in case someone ever wants to kill/rape/maim us or someone we love. In this situation, deal with the attacker quickly and effectively and then GET OUT OF THE SITUATION. Don’t use your training to kick them in the head when they’re down and definitely don’t hang around waiting to see if any of their mates show up so you can fight them too. Firstly you’ll probably be dead in short order and secondly, if you’re not you’ll probably end up using your MA skills far more than you would want to in gaol.

“When two tigers fight, one dies and one is mortally wounded”. Its not worth it.

Yes, Martial arts gives you confidence, but to some people its not the confidence to walk away. One of my former Senseis( hes my age and went to school with me) he used to go around and bully people thinking he was invincible.hes about 16 now and still i dont think anyone has put him in his place. he was one of the worst senseis i had ever had. he honestly didnt deserve a black belt. i was the second belt rank in our dojo which was yellow and i could beat him in grappling. he abused his power as a sensei by giving us unnecessary push-ups and the like. i know this really doesnt has to do with why fight but i just thought i'd share. the reason i would fight would be for respect, but dont get me wrong im not like my sensei, i dont bully i just dont let people pick on me.

<~Lil_ol_Ninja~>

You walk away & avoid fighting until someone makes it a problem to do so :-? . Then you become their problem :kaioken: :evil: :x :evil: - you fight to survive. Quickly they will realize letting you walk is in the best interests of their health & well being :bawling: :cry: :bawling: . A properly trained martial artist will always have this option available to them. If they have friends or weapons :o you may need to run away instead of walking

Ok... here's my view on fighting. If you're gunna fight... win. I've always been taught to fight only when provoked... ya know? Martial Arts are designed for defense only... so in a way, the answer to "why fight" is to defend yourself or someone you love... period. :karate:

You can either distress over a rosebush having thorns, or you can rejoice over a thornbush having roses.

• 4 weeks later...
Martial Arts are designed for defense only... so in a way, the answer to "why fight" is to defend yourself or someone you love... period. :karate:

that's not completely true. shuai chiao, judo, boxing, wrestling of any form... none of these were created for self defense, although they can be used for such.