• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why fight?

This is very interesting, I will just say that I have my pride, and my pride can't be destroyed nor will I let it, I have a rep but I don't show it off I just be myself and use martial arts only when I need it.

If someone was calling me names then I WOULD say something back, if someone hit me I WILL hit them back, BUT if someone threatened my life, I would use my MA and I would just fight until the opponent gives up, I don't show off my rep because it WILL lead to some fight eventually.

The two statements don't exactly correlate. You use MA only when you need it, then you state that you do things that would cause you to need it.

Someone calls me a name? Great, good on them. I walk away. Someone hits me? Depending on the situation, great, good on them. I walk away.

I know my abilities, and I am confident enough in myself that I can do this. What do I care that some person I will probably never meet again thinks about me? So what if he thinks he can kick my butt, or that I'm a wimp. I know I'm not. My friends, family and inner circle know I'm not.

All a fight can do is cause trouble, and I would only fight if I had to. Before I got in martial arts, I probably average a fight every few months (Especially during hockey season!), and after I started taking martial arts, I have yet to be in an actual fight (Although there have been a couple standoffs).

If you are supremely confident in yourself and what you do, then you can shrug off all the small stuff.

Besides, the look on people's face when they hit you and you just look at them is priceless. They go from agression to that slow realization of "Uh oh." Best I ever had, was I bumped into a slightly inebriated guy on the dance floor. He hauled off and slugged me in the chest (Much less than I get in sparring). I looked down at my chest, back at him and said "Don't do that." He got this slow look of horror on his face, then stumbled off the dance floor. I laughed. :D

Aodhan

Thanks for the insults (sarcastically)

Thats good, I liked reading that, I don't normally hit anyone and I dont get into fight much, I rarley do, I am just saying that if someone does something to me I will do the same..... the part where you got slugged in the chest and looked at it and then look at the guy and said don't do that, that part put a smile on my face.

A drop of sweat spent in practice is a drop of blood saved in a battle.

A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Someone hits me? Depending on the situation, great, good on them. I walk away.

Aodhan[/quote

Someone hits me, there is no way I am walking away unless he is with somone who is armed, etc. To each his own I guess.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Well said Aodhan. "Don't do that." Hee. That could be in a movie. :D

Do you (everyone) think that guys fight more than girls? Are guys more inclined to get in fights than girls? How readily do you think girls will fight other girls?

I've never been in a fight before. I've only been in one situation where it could have escalated into a fight. I admit that I would have allowed it to escalate. The other choice I had in the matter - to allow those three guys to continue doing what they were doing, was unacceptable to me.

Do you think it would have escalated had I been a guy? As it was, everyone peacefully dispersed after a heated argument and some minor shoving.

It's interesting to think about gender in the "Why fight?" question, because it might also lead to "Why do guys fight?" (And "Why do girls fight?")

:)

Kata is like a good stir-fry: preparation and timing are everything.

Do you (everyone) think that guys fight more than girls? Are guys more inclined to get in fights than girls? How readily do you think girls will fight other girls

As for your first queston I have seen 2 girls actually throw done and street fight (more like school fight). It was brutal, one girl that we didnt even know could fight that well kick the other girl butt (it was so bad that my friend look on the pavement for blood!!) But this fight was out of the blue it seem those girl have been calling each other name as we walk down the hallway and then they fight. But girls do not usually fight that much; where other situation where 2 guys would fight girl my instead just get inot a huge argument calling each name and getting into personal attacks on each other.

It's interesting to think about gender in the "Why fight?" question, because it might also lead to "Why do guys fight?" (And "Why do girls fight?")

Boys will boys. That bascially sums it up. Boys are just prone to fight more than girls.

"Martial Arts is kinda like yin and yang when you think about it; it 50% physical and 50% mental"

At the risk of "preaching", if you don't want to fight, don't go where fights often occur.

quote]

Yep!

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

The only fights that I was ever involved in was when I was a kid. I did have martial arts training then and I didn't lose. I gained respect from others and was never bothered by school bullies again. Now, 20 years later as an adult, I try to never put myself in a position that would cause me to have to use my Martial Arts. I have yet to be in a fight. I also, having years of experience in MA would not be bouncer in a bar. That is just asking for trouble. A guy in my area who was a known martial artist was working as a bouncer in a local bar. He was attacked by an intoxicated man. Now when I say attacked, I mean a slurred speeched, off balance, drunk fool tried to shove the bouncer. Instead of using minimal force to stop the guy, this "Martial Artist" used excessive force. All in all, the drunk guy ended up in the Critical Care unit of the hospital in bad shape and the MA went to jail. Not worth it. Most Martial Artist are taught how to avoid situations first and fight last resort. At least that is what I was taught.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Most Martial Artist are taught how to avoid situations first and fight last resort. At least that is what I was taught.

I think thats what all martial artists should be taught. :)

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Again, its your choice. 99.99% of the time at least. If you really do find yourself in places where people are attacking you without provocation, you should be asking yourself why you can't find something else to do with your time.

One thing that sometimes happens is we lose perspective. We hang around people that are quick to fight, for example, or like to go to places where trouble lurks. Since we see it all of the time, we think its "normal".

The reality is, most people don't fight, or even come close to getting in fights. You can do the same, but again, if and only if you make the choice.

Edited by Pride&Poise

Again, its your choice. 99.99% of the time at least. If you really do find yourself in places where people are attacking you without provokation, you should be asking yourself why you can't find something else to do with your time.

One thing that sometimes happens is we lose perspective. We hang around people that are quick to fight, for example, or like to go to places where trouble lurks. Since we see it all of the time, we think its "normal".

The reality is, most people don't fight, or even come close to getting in fights. You can do the same, but again, if and only if you make the choice.

Yep. Well said

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

You are forgetting the benefits of sparring/reistance training. If you don't square off against someone in a friendly format with rules, how well can you expect to do when in a confrontational format with NO rules? Without having ever tested your ability even if restricted by rules, there's really no way you can expect to deal well in a real life situation.

"Question oneself, before you question others"