• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why Do We Kick Like We Do?

cluelesskarateka

I see it differently altogether. It ends the situation 80 percent of the time for me without any need for follow up, so really in regards of rating. Now the traditionalist view is that it should work 100percent of the time, yet obviously I'm not a master so thats why I said that. If you use it correctly, who cares what amount of power you had.

The 100% deal is far too Japanese for me. The idea is more tied to culture than reality. I've seen schools (English schools) teach their students in isolation and then release them into the wild with the expectation to perform flawlessly. I've had more than one encounter with a English student (Japanese) who was devastated when they found that they spent all this time learning Engurish then made lots of mistakes. Can only report what I've seen. There are lots of examples in many professions. I dealt with Doctors and Engineers mostly. That's another story.

masters didn't get it right 100% of the time.. just more often than the rest of us.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see it differently altogether. It ends the situation 80 percent of the time for me without any need for follow up, so really in regards of rating. Now the traditionalist view is that it should work 100percent of the time, yet obviously I'm not a master so thats why I said that. If you use it correctly, who cares what amount of power you had.

The 100% deal is far too Japanese for me. The idea is more tied to culture than reality. I've seen schools (English schools) teach their students in isolation and then release them into the wild with the expectation to perform flawlessly. I've had more than one encounter with a English student (Japanese) who was devastated when they found that they spent all this time learning Engurish then made lots of mistakes. Can only report what I've seen. There are lots of examples in many professions. I dealt with Doctors and Engineers mostly. That's another story.

masters didn't get it right 100% of the time.. just more often than the rest of us.

Yea I know what you mean. I didn't actually relise I had such a Japanese view on MA. But from what I know, Japan has some of the highest suicide rates in the world, so in most subjects I wouldn't go with that.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Yea I know what you mean. I didn't actually relise I had such a Japanese view on MA. But from what I know, Japan has some of the highest suicide rates in the world, so in most subjects I wouldn't go with that.

I have some first hand experiences with that sort of thing... and I don't mean myself personally.

Had the opportunity to free spar with a muay thai when I was in Bangkok. This was a mistake, the worse bruised rips and left thigh I have ever had, hands down. My calves were larger than this guy's upper thighs, heh, well, all I can say is that as soon as I realized that this was full on, (I admit I was stupid not to realize this), I ended the match with the first and only technique I threw. A mid thigh round kick and I honestly thought I had fractured the guys leg. This guy scared me.

And Oh... I think I got lucky.

Were you in Muay Thai camp/gym in Bangkok? This happens a lot with us farlang/foreigners going into Thailand and sparring, the Thai thaiboxers want to "test" us.

I'm just asking because I'm kind of surprised that no one else sparred you after that...and I'm also surprised you stopped a Thai with a leg kick. This is kind of looked like an inexperienced muay thai practitioner to the Thais...losing by a leg kick.

I'm not doubting your story just a little surprised by it because a proficient Muay Thai practitioner usually has great defense against leg kicks.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

Were you in Muay Thai camp/gym in Bangkok? This happens a lot with us farlang/foreigners going into Thailand and sparring, the Thai thaiboxers want to "test" us.

I'm just asking because I'm kind of surprised that no one else sparred you after that...and I'm also surprised you stopped a Thai with a leg kick. This is kind of looked like an inexperienced muay thai practitioner to the Thais...losing by a leg kick.

I'm not doubting your story just a little surprised by it because a proficient Muay Thai practitioner usually has great defense against leg kicks.

Heh, yeah the place was a little hole in the ground... really out of the way. I had a guide find it for us, like most everything else. I can't say it was fun. Anyways, there was a line up of boxers, but unfortunately, I was bruised up pretty severly and I didn't want to spend my vacation looking like I just came out of a car accident. Frankly, I wasn't confident about the medical care either.

His legs were stong but he was very slight in build. While I was in Japan I did the crazy thing of breaking multiple baseball bats with my shins, so his thigh, (just above the knee) was pretty soft in comparison.

Perhaps I got really lucky, but after I hit him he couldn't stand on the leg.

Massive charlie horse. I don't think what I did was very smart nor was it very fun.

I like Menjo's idea of ending a fight with a kick, which is why I like my thai kick so much. Nothing hits harder, and just about anyone untrained out there won't be able to stand a real good one to the right spot in their leg.

Also, since I'm on thai boxing- you know the teep? (If not, just google it). It's just a feeler, barely a kick at all, but it's fast, not hard to make accurate, and sneaky. While not legal in the ring, what a great way to hit someones nuts. If they're really tough and still come after you (believe me, it still hurts), hit them there a second time harder now that they're more vulnerable.

I was asked this morning in my class what kind of fighter I was... I would have to say that I'm an opportunist. While I like to try to setup my opponent, I do what ever it takes. I have a prefernece for grappling, but when I think about it, a great deal of my takedowns end with kicks, just prior to a final submission or limb break.

I was asked this morning in my class what kind of fighter I was... I would have to say that I'm an opportunist. While I like to try to setup my opponent, I do what ever it takes. I have a prefernece for grappling, but when I think about it, a great deal of my takedowns end with kicks, just prior to a final submission or limb break.

You now have given me a new goal! I have to find out what type of fighter I am. Thanks I guess.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

That is a very good question, but I can't say I agree with you that our kicks don't generate a lot of power. They can, but you must have the proper hip conection and be able to put your intire weight into it. I find the round house kick the way we do it is weaker, but at are club we do it in a more muay thai way because we know the power it can generate. I find that front thrust kick can be very powerful are way you just haft to initiate your hips put your weight into it, but not to wind up say they can see it coming.

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata