• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning to Spar

No, you both missed the point. The point I was making was switching arts doesn't solve the core problem that you have, namely, that you don't know how to fight. Andrew said switch to boxing and then brought up the point that a good coach can teach you to get better in short order. That's true but it's a non sequiter. A good coach in ANY art should make you better. I have been to several martial arts schools and dropping you into the sparring is quite common. The reason is is that you are supposed to be learning from your mistakes. If every time you go to punch someone the block and kick you in the groin you need to change something. I have found the best strategy for this is taking what I learn in class and trying to apply it to the fighting. If I am still getting beaten on a regular basis I ask my partners what they are seeing. When I started at my current dojang about 8 months ago I had trouble beating even the lower belts because they fought differently than I was used to. I started asking people where they saw me making mistakes. Now there are very few people there that I can't land on on a regular if not frequent basis. In other words if your instructor is a good instructor except for the fact that he doesn't show you how to win in sparring the onus is on you to talk with your partners and work on things to get better.

Long Live the Fighters!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
The reason is is that you are supposed to be learning from your mistakes.

But you shouldn't have to, well, not entirely.

A good coach should be there telling you what to work on and how, not just dropping you in and telling you to learn from your mistakes. If that is the case why bother with a coach at all, just get a group of buddies and start sparring in the basement.

The reason I mentioned Boxing is because sparring is the end result. Coaches don't become coaches without knowing how to teach people to spar. In many other forms of martial arts this is not always the case. Some coaches can, some can't. To a beginner it is hard to tell.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

If you suck at sparring now you're going to suck at sparring no matter what art you take.

I dont think that is true because im not getting any sparring tips with Krav Maga, we just spar and thats it! Sometimes i do get some tips from my oppenents telling me to keep my hands up etc...

While on kick box or mua thai they do learn to spar step by step i understand so i am thinking that i can become a better at sparring if i join those MA.

Can a person who doesnt know how to swim learn it by just jumping in it?

Maybe yes but it takes a lot longer time then taking class.

We do some sparring drills at my muay thai place, inside thiegh left kick, block kick back, one two punch kick/block.

However when we really spar... they do put us in the ring and the teacher just yells out advice

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

Sparring should be taught. If you are not being taught, they you aren't going to learn at an acceptable rate.

My first school did not really teach sparring. I sought out higher ranking students that were good at sparring and asked for their help. Quick questions as well as meeting after class. One black belt in my school was especially helpful.

Repetition, repetition, repetition or practice, practice, practice once you have learned some good tips.

ClaflinTSD

"If you don't know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else."