• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

position of fist, on the hip or on the rib?

excellent point, but what form of kung fu did you take, i took hung gar, and we used our fists, it was really similar to bujinkan, oh and i tried blocking with my elbows, it only blocks, it doesn't redirect, but the fists do, ive shattered wrsits with an uke fist block before, and below the belt i use my shins to block, i toughen up my legs for tkd, by shin kicking a tree, it hurts like hell, but its deadened the nerves pretty well. (we dont have shin kicks in tkd, but deadening the nerves sure hepls with full contact sparring. :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, but i do not use gloves, in a real fight the horizontal fist works better, in tkd we guard our face with the opposing hand, but i find it more effective to go through my techniques with my hand above my rib cage. Also, its more effective to block with the fist, like every kung fu and ninjutsu practitioner knows... :dodgy:

Try going through your TKD forms with your fists held in a guarding position, like a Boxer. When you bring the reaction arm back for a block or strke, bring it to the on-guard position as opposed to the ribs. I think this is a good way to modify the training, to get your hands used to the position.

yeah, but one problem, if we dont do the form the way they make us, we dont pass our testing, im testing for my black belt in about 2 weeks, but thx for the advice, my bujinkan is my only real self defense, all my other styles ive taken are useless: judo:who is walking around wearing a Gi?,Taekwondo: dont ever try a high kick on a bujinkan instructor, yeesh!, shaolin:acrobatics are too flashy and not effective, hung gar: a watered down version of bujinkan in my opinion, i know they come from 2 dif places, but bujinkan is like hung gar with more weapons and more fine points.(advice: If your fighting a boxer, dont try to knock him out with a punch or kick above the belt, their used to getting hit, either a kick to the knees or groin, or throw and lock him, boxers aren't used to being locked :) )

yeah, but one problem, if we dont do the form the way they make us, we dont pass our testing, im testing for my black belt in about 2 weeks, but thx for the advice

I don't mean to do it all the time, but just supplementally from time to time.

ty, but forms are just for tradition, tkd isn't good for self defense, but im on a contract to get my black belt, so i have to pass, cause the contract was expensive, but thx anyway, If i try it a different way, ill do it a different way on accident , u dont know how many times ive flipped someone in sparring out of habit...

excellent point, but what form of kung fu did you take, i took hung gar, and we used our fists, it was really similar to bujinkan, oh and i tried blocking with my elbows, it only blocks, it doesn't redirect, but the fists do, ive shattered wrsits with an uke fist block before, and below the belt i use my shins to block, i toughen up my legs for tkd, by shin kicking a tree, it hurts like hell, but its deadened the nerves pretty well. (we dont have shin kicks in tkd, but deadening the nerves sure hepls with full contact sparring. :D

the purpose of the elbow is not to redirect. the elbow is pointy and hard...a imagine something weak like an instep colliding with an elbow. imagine a fist colliding with an elbow... this is a tactic known as a 'destruction'.

I have trained longfist and jkd. My longfist teacher also trained hung gar.

This is a different topic, but kicking trees does more harm than good in the long run and is unnecessary... they don't even do that in thailand anymore, AFAIK.

yes, but i do not use gloves, in a real fight the horizontal fist works better, in tkd we guard our face with the opposing hand, but i find it more effective to go through my techniques with my hand above my rib cage. Also, its more effective to block with the fist, like every kung fu and ninjutsu practitioner knows... :dodgy:

Try going through your TKD forms with your fists held in a guarding position, like a Boxer. When you bring the reaction arm back for a block or strke, bring it to the on-guard position as opposed to the ribs. I think this is a good way to modify the training, to get your hands used to the position.

Interesting. The new style I am training in is TKD based. But the forms and basics are modified to use a "natural block" with the opposite hand doing the technique. Though it does eventually go back to the hip. For instance for a stepping middle punch with the right hand, you bring the left hand into natural block, then execute the right punch while bringing the left hand back.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

judo:who is walking around wearing a Gi?

they wear clothes. if your kumikata is good, you can perform judo techniques either with the clothes, or by grabbing limbs. Also, you can over and under hook. how long did you train judo? There are even videos (mike swain has a few) where grappling without the gi is discussed.

Taekwondo: dont ever try a high kick on a bujinkan instructor, yeesh!

proper set up and timing.

shaolin:acrobatics are too flashy and not effective

what is flashy about a shoulder throw? a willow palm? a sunfist punch? if all you learned is flash, you may have attended a wushu school.

how long have you trained these other styles?

the purpose of the elbow is not to redirect. the elbow is pointy and hard...a imagine something weak like an instep colliding with an elbow. imagine a fist colliding with an elbow... this is a tactic known as a 'destruction'.

Destructions are a beautiful thing. Beautiful beautiful things. We teach our lower belts the basics of the blocks (i.e.--how to do them properly, etc etc.) and then as the students reach the end of the intermediate to advanced phases of the kyu ranks we show them how to incorporate destructions, guntines, and other ways to defang the snake into their blocks.