• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

position of fist, on the hip or on the rib?

question for goju ryu and shorin ryu friends, I have noticed that many okinawan styles teach keeping fists low on the hip (or on the belt) while some keep the fist higher up on the rib, I have even heard it called the "floating rib" I noticed in pictures of karate- ka practicing in okinawa using both positions. which is traditionally correct? I have been taught both ways but I am more comfortable with keeping my fists on the ribs. I see other styles like tkd have their fists low on the hip.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when I was in Shorin Ryu it was on the belt, but now in Kyokushin its floating rib.. I dont reckon it matters as much.. just whichever your instructor tells you

"Whatever you do, do from the heart, as for the Lord and not for others. -Colossians 3:23

Whatever your instructor and style call for is correct from an esthetic perspective. We chamber our fist at the ribs when doing kata and basics. When we spar both hands are up and in front, similar to a boxer's peek-a-boo guard.

I know it's not Goju or Shorin Ryu, but in both the Kenpo and JKD stuff I've done the fists tend to be kept around the ribs. If the book "Bruce Lee's Fighting Method Vol. 2" is any indication, which it my not be since for all I know it's a worthless money grab attempt, keeping the fists at the ribs would indeed be a break from the traditional hip placement.

It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. For me, I prefer it be kept up higher because it is just that slight bit less distance to travel for a straight punch, but really, it doesn't make much difference.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Whatever your instructor and style call for is correct from an esthetic perspective. We chamber our fist at the ribs when doing kata and basics. When we spar both hands are up and in front, similar to a boxer's peek-a-boo guard.

We do it the same way in the AKF for Shorin-Ryu.

If he practices 3 times, I must practice 6 times -- Osensei Nagamine

When practicing and or teaching, Okinawan Goju Ryu Shoreikan, off and on, since 1989, I must say I was instructed to {and teach others to}, and use the 'ribcage' as a guide.

Now when I practice TKD, and Shotokan, I do so at the waist.

The top of my fist lies parallel with the bottom line of my lower chest.

When sparring or fighting, I keep my hands up and out. I keep my arms bent, and relaxed, one hand out and slightly above the other. Either opened or closed. Sometimes one of each.

I combine the hand placement of both karate, kung fu (wing chun), and Taijiquan, along with many principles from western boxing.

When striking, I move with my waist first, not my shoulder. I strike with my whole body, and upon contact I swing my waist back, placing my hands back into a "fight ready" position.

The last part, is not traditional GJK.

Traditional GJK tells me to power on through, and then rechamber my fist, no more than fist distance {laterally} from my ribcage.

:)

Later and Good luck!

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Stylistic differences in kata. If you're in a fight, put it on your jaw, otherwise where the style says it should be, neither is more or less correct.

do you mean their jaw?

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.