• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for general thoughts on a style for me

Yes I know only I can make the final choice, plus I am limited in choices because I am in small area.

I would just like to hear what you maybe think could be good for me.

I am a former blue belt in Shukokai karate, but quit many years ago. I have since lost a lot of flexibility, I used to be able to easily kick to face height, now it is very difficult.

I just started getting into Tae Kwon Do, which so far is very fun and interesting. ( I do intend to stick with this just because it is only one of what is currently available to me) I just want to see for what I should consider taking later, or buying books and studying.

I am 6'3", 215 pounds.

Very low flexibility in legs (at least compared to most people who have been active in martial arts), but it may come back hopefully

Very strong legs and arms, average or a little above average back and chest for my height and weight.

Just curious to see whats out there.

Thanks all

-Tom

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Yes I know only I can make the final choice, plus I am limited in choices because I am in small area.

It's hard to give you an honest answer since you didn't mention what choices there were in your area.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

There is Chung do Kwan Tae Kwan Do (currently in), a style of Karate that I am not sure the name of, and Aikido, Brazilian Ju Jitsu, and I believe an unorganized group for "USA Tae Kwon Do". The Aikido and Brazilian Ju Jitsu and USA Tae Kwon Do are university, basically student run organizations. Not to downplay the benefits they may have for me.

But I am also interested in general what could be a place for me to look into for myself, and find a dojo or trainer later. I would'nt mind reading up on my own and practicing on my own.

But anyways, to add a little more info, I have a really strong quick but I don't have super speed. However I have great endurance, i.e. I can run like 15 miles in like 3 hours or something like that.

Thanks

-Tom

I would say go for the BJJ. Since you already have studied TKD, this will definately help you. You have somewhat of a "stand up" game. BJJ will really help you with takedowns, submissions, chokes, etc. Also it helps that you have great endurance as well as size and strength.

There is nothing wrong with the BJJ being "University" most all of you would be learning and there shouldnt be any probs with egos or anything.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense