• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

W.T.F-Hands Down? I.T.F-Hands UP?

I"m sure there are W.T.F stylists who keep their hands up. Overall many do not, compared to the I.T.f.

I personally think W.T.F stylists don't keep their hands up because there's too much emphasis on attacking. Also it's harder to move around in the TKD vests. Thus, it's easier to move when you drop your hands. HOwever, it really wouldn't hurt to keep your hands up!

I understand blocking is not also done by many because of the fear of breaking your arm by a full contact kick. I just think some blocking is possible in W.T.F and it would be beneficial for a W.T.F fighter to keep their hands up. It has certainly benefited me to keep my hands up when fighting in W.T.F.

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-04-10 12:23 ]

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hands Up vs Hands Down

Fighting with your hands down is useful in some aspects. It can make your opponent feel youare vulnerable and make him attack...unknowing that your hands will raise the moment he makes his first move...

And leaving your hands up all the time has been proven to make your more tired...y fight with your hands up if you are 3 round kicks away?

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

• 1 year later...

I would like to make two points that some may have missed:

1. I do not believe it is possible to train in WTF and ITF simultaneously. Can you be a Catholic and Protestant at the same time? If you can't tell your Instructor because of what he might say, don't do it.

2. One of the reasons WTF fighters keep their hands down is to bait the opponent into attacking so they can counter. If I have my hands down, and my opponent thinks it will be an easy point, he is much more likely to try to attack. This opens the door for a counter on my part (back sidekick, axe kick, back roundhouse). Obviously my timing must be superb or I'm going to get kicked in the head.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

Obviously my timing must be superb or I'm going to get kicked in the head.

Why am i tempted to say something here? :P

Obviously, your self control is superb, or you would have said something! 8)

Freedom isn't free!

This sort of blows me away that one org doesn't punch or guard, but does kick the fool out of each other, while the other org uses hands but not to the head. What's the point? I understand the sport aspect might have a lot to do with it, but the few tournaments I've been to used hands as well as feet, and the head was a target. Maybe it's just my narrow minded aproach, but I think of the entire body as a weapons system, defense system, and target, all in one convenient package. This is especially true if you ever want to use your skills for defense. I don't know,... maybe I need to get out and mix more, but I just don't see the reasoning.

:-?

Freedom isn't free!

I practice wtf and i´ve had 3 diferent instructors and they all teached me to fight with my hands up.I personaly think its better to fight with hands up,i block more easily that way

• 2 months later...
I'm currently simultaneously training in W.T.F and I.T.F. (Hush! My masters don't know.) My background in martial arts is in mainly the I.T.F. I've only done W.T.F for 8 months now. It's an interesting experience adapting to each art's fighting style. It's pure discipline! Well, there is so much emphasis to keep your hands up and to block in the I.T.F system. I understand the sparring tactics are different in the two systems, but why do W.T.F stylists drop their hands so much and don't attempt to block? It's like they don't care about their hands. I find it much easier to spar in W.T.F, since I have to only worry about two weapons-feet. Also, my opponents have a hard time scoring on me, 'cause I block. Why do W.T.F stylists not block or keep their hands up, all the time? Wouldn't it be to their advantage to do so? :???:

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-04-08 23:49 ]

The reason is because having your hands down keeps your body relaxed. When you are relaxed, you kick faster and stronger. If you notice, they will only keep their guard down while they are bouncing at a safe distance. If a kick comes to their head, they are fast enough to get their hands up (i dont call it blocking, because its not, its called having a guard). If you try and block kicks you're going to GET kicked. If you have a good guard, you will be a good fighter.

WTF fighters (the ones you see with their guards down) are either experienced fighters that know when their guard needs to be up....or they are ignorant fighters who get kicked in the head a lot.

At my school, we teach the kids to keep their guard up. as for the black belts, we tell them that they can do whatever they want, as long as they dont complain when they get kicked in the head.

WTF sparring is much more realistic. I believe ITF is point sparring? - I've never done ITF before, but this is what I've heard. WTF is good beacuse you can kick full power to the body, controlled power to the head...full power to thead in black belt division You can punch to the body and the arms, but not to the head (this is because drawing blood is a disqualification) - and the point of Takewondo is kicking. Taekwondo is looked more at like a chess game, and not a fight. Its the skill of the opponents to score points on the other. Its not about knocking your friend out -though it is about knocking the other tournament fighter out if at all possible.

One thing I like about it that I believe is extremely realistic is that...even if you kick someone your hardest in the chest guard, or the head guard, they can still keep coming at you....it trains you to fight until the person is down (which in reality, without a chest guard, a kick from an experienced wtf fighter to the ribs would probably be the first and last kick you'd take there for that day). Is it unrealistic to not punch to the head? yes. Is it unrealistic to not kick to the legs? yes. Is it unrealistic to not catch kicks and throw people? yes. But every art has its ups and downs. Thats why I train in BJJ, and box, and thats why I stay knowledgeable about other styles - so i'm not ignorant to how a fighter might attack or defend. Does TKD have the strongest kicks of any martial art? yes. Are we usually the fastest kickers? yes.

I think Taekwondo is the best base style that you can have. Its so simple and straightforward that its easier to be effective at it (as long as you practice everyday). It doesnt have complicated joint locks, hand techniques, etc. (that usually arent going to work for you anyway) - it teaches you how to have devastating kicks...fast and powerful, period.

If you want to be able to defend yourself, its all about the mindset. Don't be ignorant. Go train in BJJ for some ground work, go take boxing so you can punch properly to the head and practice fighting that way. Taekwondo kicks are just as devastating when done to the legs as they are to anywhere else, but its the mentality of knowing to throw to the legs in a street fight. No one martial art is going to fully train you for self defense. Every martial art can be used for self defense, but there isnt a martial art that will fully train you for self defense. Its all about how you train yourself, and what you decide is best for you.