• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

W.T.F-Hands Down? I.T.F-Hands UP?

I'm currently simultaneously training in W.T.F and I.T.F. (Hush! My masters don't know.) My background in martial arts is in mainly the I.T.F. I've only done W.T.F for 8 months now. It's an interesting experience adapting to each art's fighting style. It's pure discipline! Well, there is so much emphasis to keep your hands up and to block in the I.T.F system. I understand the sparring tactics are different in the two systems, but why do W.T.F stylists drop their hands so much and don't attempt to block? It's like they don't care about their hands. I find it much easier to spar in W.T.F, since I have to only worry about two weapons-feet. Also, my opponents have a hard time scoring on me, 'cause I block. Why do W.T.F stylists not block or keep their hands up, all the time? Wouldn't it be to their advantage to do so? :???:

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-04-08 23:49 ]

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed this too.

WTF rely a lot on 45 degree kicks. In which case i rely on my elbow blocks and suddenly they don't kick any more?

I think it's coz WTF fighters used there hands to generate torque throught there body to get more power, also by keeping your arms in they contribute to your body weight and make it harder to move. Watch peoples arms when they bounce they move in time.

Also part of the reason you keep your arms up is for a fast jab and punchs and also to protect your chin. As WTF has no punchs it don't matter.

Let use know which one you find better, arms up or down?

Bretty :wink:

for being a practitioner of both wtf and itf. In both systems they should be keeping emphasis on keeping your hands up. There is limited punching in wtf. I think the reason many of them drop their hands is because they may have developed bad habit. wtf though tries to emphasis side stepping and feints as well as attacking while moving and being attacked more than itf does. Both are more sport oriented though itf tends to have more of the self-defense aspect most koreans consider Tang Soo Do the ancient form of taekwondo. I could write out the history of taekwondo but it begins to get complicated during the japanese rule of Korea. Ironically it is believed that Korea during the ancient times influenced Japanese Karate thus the Korean arts and Japanese arts are alot closer than most people realise It is known that the Okinawans studied martial arts from Korean Diplomats. Also I would like to add WTF emphasises kicks to the head lot and if a person doesnt keep their hands up they may learn to the hard way. :grin:

Is it not easier to strike a mountain than it is to strike a fly!

I'm an ITF Taekwon-Do 7th kup student and really enjoying it.

Our instructor is really good and the classes are very professional. Because our class is so good it is really dissapointing to hear all the bad things that people say about Taekwon-Do. It was only recently that these bad things seem to be pointed at WTF schools or McDojos who use Taekwon-Do as their style name because most people have heard of it.

As you are training is both camps, could you let us all know what you honestly think of both organisations. :wave:

My grand master is actually a member of both organizations and from what I can tell one tries to emphasize alittle more on speed and timeing as the other emphasises blocking and power. Being a member of both organization is not an uncommon thing since both sides have been trying to unify the two for year

Is it not easier to strike a mountain than it is to strike a fly!

I'm pretty knew at this TKD thing, so sorry if this sounds like a really dumb question.

It sounds like in WTF a lotta people don't keep their hand up and they don't block either. So what to they do? Do they simply just get kicked if someone kicks them and go on to their next move ? :???:

Thanks

Cya

Hiya

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

Dragonstyle 18: W.T.F=World Tae kwon do Federation (Olympic style) Go to to find out more.

I.T.F=International Tae kwon do Federation Go to

Well, training in both federations simultaneously was hard at first. Coming mainly from an I.T.F back ground, I had to get used to the full contact aspect of W.T.F. I also had to get used to not doing my favorite technique, the "Blitz" to the head in W.T.F. Before each class, I meditate, telling myself not to punch to the head when I fight in W.T.F and not to use too much power when I fight in I.T.F. It requires much discipline to adapt each time I fight in W.T.F and I.T.F. Although the fundamentals of sparring are the same(speed, timing, distance, power etc) the tactics are different. Fast hard snappy kicks are used in W.T.F, while in I.T.F you can double up with your kicks and follow up with your hands. I find W.T.F exhilarating. I love the high adrenaline rush I get from fighting full contact in W.T.F. HOwever, I feel frustrated that I can't punch to the face. Although punches don't score, I still punch to the body in W.T.F to cause a distraction. Personally, I find I.T.F more interesting and challenging because you have four weapons to use. (2 hands and two feet). As a result there are two fighting distances in I.T.F you have to worry about-kicking range and punching range. In W.T.F, it's mainly all kicks. I find it advantageous for me to learn both styles. From I.T.F I have learned to keep my hands up, which has benefited me greatly in W.T.F. (I still don't understand why W.T.F stylists don't block much!) From W.T.F I have learned to use my back leg more in I.T.F, thus being more diverse in my fighting.

In addition, the patterns in the two systems are different. Also, the way the patterns are done are different. In I.T.F patterns, the "sine wave" technique is used-spring motion in the legs to develop power.( I think this brings your patterns to another level.)

Anyway, I can't say which one is better. It all depends what you prefer. I hope that answers your questions.

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-04-10 00:47 ]

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

Hiya all.

I train in WTF TKD now. I fight with hands up. That's how I was taught in TSD. So I brought it to my TKD training.

When I spar (in TKD), I noticed some people keep their hands up (block, punch, strike, ect), but some don't. I can score easy on the people who don't keep their hands up. I guess it depends on the person fighting.

Laurie F

I spar WTF style and I use my hands.... i think its a personal preference. If you are a moron or can't move fast your going to put your hands down. Otherwise I would recommend trying to use your hands.

Do unto others, as they done to you.