• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seido Karate

Semper Jab

There are no kyokushinkai dojos in my area but I found a Seido Karate dojo I might try out.

http://www.eastbayseido.com/

I heard that this style is supposed to be an offshoot of Kyokushin, can anyone fill me in on how close it is to the original art?

My goal is full contact and heaps of strength/stamina building. Is it worth giving up boxing/thai boxing for? I'm not going to be able to afford both gyms.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What you found was founded by a former Kyokushin rising star, Tadashi Nakamura. Nakamura's Seido Karate is not knock-down. It focuses on the touchy feely aspects of karate. They're into kata, meditation, community service and point-fighting. Google Nakamura or Seido Karate to get the whole story.

Seido Karate should not be confused with Seidokaikan, the guys who brought you K-1. Seidokaikan is a tough Knockdown style. If you can't find Kyokushin in your area, Seidokaikan, Enshin, World Oyama Karate are good substitutes

Haha, you sound a little exaggerated on that, but thanks for the info. Looks like I'll stick to boxing for now.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali

• 2 weeks later...

Seido isn't focused as much on knockdown/bareknuckle as Kyokushin, Enshin, Seidokaikan, etc. but it still has it. I would say it focuses a little bit more on kata then many Kyokushin dojo and is harder then a shotokan, shito ryu, wado ryu, "more classical" karate dojo is.

Seido tries to use body shifting/footwork to avoid and counter more so then Kyokushin typically does. I'm speaking from my own experience but good luck in finding a dojo that works out for you.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

• 2 years later...

I must correct the touchy feely bit of Seido.

It's pretty intense in kumite, and the emphasis is on the strengths of our students and not the weaknesses. There's a lot more to karate than just kumite, so we emphasize good kihon and kata.

I've had some really awesome kumite sessions at Seido; guys who could hit you across the floor, but one must have respect for those who aren't as strong perhaps :)