• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yikes....that does sound scary.

Let's hope that the majority of people don't get into the Green Monster too much.

I have heard that Century is very very money-oriented. They came out with their own NAPMA-style program after they split from NAPMA. From what I've heard, they very heavily encourage lots of little fees everywhere, such as charging for private lessons, testing, etc. etc.

My school doesn't agree with the politics of this and we're sticking with NAPMA. The hard part of this is that we still order from Century, simply because they have such a huge selection. Ikon is still in its toddler, developing stages, and can't really compete yet (although their gear is really good). We're trying to off-set this by ordering through AWMA.

But yes, MASUCCESS sounds rather a lot like a McDojo newsletter. Since I haven't read it, I can't presume to judge (hehe I'm learning a bit about judging lately) entirely, but that's what it sounds like.

However, I'm not exactly sure that Century expects everyone to do every single thing in their magazine. Perhaps they do, but that isn't very realistic. I think people just pick a few that they like and run with it.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Oh, and congrats on finding a good school, Laurie! It's relieving to hear that someone has escaped the throe of a McDojo. Hehe or for a cornier expression: "escaped from the fry-cooker" ;)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found out that I'm "stuck" at this school (the McDojang) because of the contract :bawling:

But I was talking with one of my friends there (who is also tired of the "mcdojang" situation), and we have a plan to "change" the classes we are in. For example: When we do self defense, we will not give people "false confidance." We will make them "work" the technique. And we will help new students with real technique, period. We won't let them do a technique, and say "good job" eventhough it's totally bad (unless it's a white belt of course). We will show them the right way, and help them.

This is a few things the instrustors are not doing lately. I am now a blue belt (advanced class), and I will help the others in the advanced class, at least, "look like" they belong in the advanced class.

If I have to be "stuck" at this school, I want to help others to not fall into the "rut" that most of the students are falling in (higher ranks with no technique).

What do you all think?

Laurie F

its very nice from you to help the others. If you can't do anything to get out of there, then you can fix your own problems yourself.

Maybe, you and your friends can talk with other martial artist that aren't in MCdojo Schools and try to do a mix class maybe on weekend when everybody have free time and you can train and learn usefull things that in your school aren't teaching you.

But that things on the Contracts its really BAD, i mean, if i don't like something i should be free to go when i want, Been force to stay by a contract its terrible.

Why don't you and some of the "like minded" students meet individually with your instructor and voice your concerns. If he/she has any common sense he/she will try to address them. You might make the school a better place or you could be invited to leave. I like your idea of honest training. Advanced students should earn their rank through solid technique.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

• 2 weeks later...

First ask if you can come to an agreement to mutually break the contract. If he/she says no, then you find some rediculous clause in the contract, make their lives miserable (legally miserable that is) to where they will lose business until they either willingly break the contract, or violate their contract so you can get them on breach of contract... Play dirty with these McDojos - they're playing dirty with you so why not!!!

Thanks Red. I was wondering if there is a way to legally break the contract if my above plan doesn't work.

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

No, some schools have contracts, like my TSD dojang did. I didn't care then, because it wasn't a McDojang. Eventhen, they didn't ask me to sign a three year contract. They had contracts for 3 months, 6 months, and one year. I did the three month one twice and the one year one just because I knew I wasn't going to leave at the time. But I ended up moving anyways :(

Laurie F

If I have to be "stuck" at this school, I want to help others to not fall into the "rut" that most of the students are falling in (higher ranks with no technique).

What do you all think?

I think this may possibly make you look better than the instructors and in all actuality may tick em' off or make them proud of you! -- let's see what happens!

I like the "idea" of taking the "bull" by the horns ... (so-to-speak!)

Defenition of a MCdojo/Mcdojang:

Cares more about money/profit than being true to the students and the art.

Remember that a school usually is first and foremost a buisness, with expenses and overhead to cover. If it is what someone is doing for a living then they will need to cover their personal living expenses as well. Sometimes they will charge a lot of money for tuintion and supplies, but if they are giving you what they adverties then there should be no problems. If they adverties sport or competition and you sign up then you have no place to complain. If they offer self-defense and deliver, then you need to decide if the cost is worth it to you. If they offer something but do everything to milk you for your paycheck and still don't deliver their promise then they are a McDojo. If they promised you something and are no longer delivering what they promised you have a possible legal recourse.

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!