• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Higher ranks leaving are never a good sign. I would find out why. Also find out how serious your school is when it comes to enforcing the contracts. Look at their end of the contract as well. Is there something that they are not living up to? Contracts work both ways (except in the case of a McDojo). Good luck, keep us posted.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit, just leave. I'm assuming the contract is set up so you won't get a refund, so you could either finish your training for the period of the contract or get out of there and forget about your money.

I've noticed elements of a McDojo surfacing in my Wing Chun class like having to pay for extra training/special classes and low quality of students. But then I look at the number of students that are actually putting their all into it and I feel better.

Thanks, Sub. I did find a new school. The problem is now is telling my boyfriend (who trains with me at the old one) or get him to "wake up and smell the coffee" on the old school, and get him to the new one. And breaking the contract (which the new school doesn't have :D ).

Wish me luck. I am taking free classes at the new school starting tomorrow. I'll let ya know how it goes :)

Laurie F

Whether that school you are attending is a "true" mcdojo or not is irrelevant now.... youre unhappy with the quality of instruction (there are bad schools out there!) and now the lesson.....You live and learn Laur!

Many schools try to get you to sign a long term, legally binding contract the minute you enroll, such as what happened in your case. It is wiser to find a school which will let you simply pay monthly with no contract if possible in case you eventually decide to, or have to cease training at the school. If you sign a contract, you are legally obligated to continue making monthly payments for the term of the contract, whether you continue training or not!

All of these next questions should be answered, written or appear somewhere in a document and signed by the proper rep of the school. You should refrain from signing any contract until then.

What happens if I am injured and cannot train?

What happens if I cannot afford payments due to loss of income?

Are there any circumstances in which the contract can be void?

What happens if the school closes or moves to another location?

Contracts will "stick it to you," by enforcing payment terms of the contract should you wish to be "out" of it for whatever reason. However, there are many legitimate uses of contracts by martial arts schools. They can reduce costs for the instructor and free him from tedious billing issues that can distract him from teaching. Don't let the option of a contract dissuade

you from any particular school but be wary of schools that require a

contract (and will not give you a month-to-month option) or contracts that

guarantee "black belt" within a given time frame.

Good luck with that other school. I do hope it is like mine!

Remember: Some "red flags" to look for.... schools that require you to buy only their branded uniforms and gear, require you to sign long contracts, have no "move refund" option in their contract, or high-pressure sales pitches. If it feels like you're buying a used car and the salesman insists you sign the contract now, smile politely and head for the door!!!.

Everybody begins a journey with great enthusiasm, but few foresee the potholes in the road ahead. Good Luck kiddo!

KickChick wrote:

<... youre unhappy with the quality of instruction (there are bad schools out there!) and now the lesson.....You live and learn Laur!>

You got that right ;)

The new place doesn't have contracts. And the monthly payments are cheap. Plus the "testing fees" are included in the monthly tuition :)

Eeeekkkk. Does this mean I have to still pay the old school for 2 and 1/2 more years, even if I'm not there????

Remember: Some "red flags" to look for.... schools that require you to buy only their branded uniforms and gear, require you to sign long contracts, have no "move refund" option in their contract, or high-pressure sales pitches. If it feels like you're buying a used car and the salesman insists you sign the contract now, smile politely and head for the door!!!.>

I don't have to worry about these "red flags" at the new place, because there wasn't any "red flags." :D And yes, this new school is awsome. It's a WTF school, but they learn self defense (joint locks, breakfalls, throws, ect). I know I will love it there :)

Thanks, Kickchick :)

Laurie F

If anyone has seen the MASUCCESS magazine ( http://www.masuccess.com/ ) distributed by Century equipment, I personally am scared for where martial arts schools are going.

While the magazine may offer some good advice for teaching on occassion, but generally it's how to get more students, and make lots of more off your school. They show how to set up tournaments, seminars, and other "income generating" programs.

The scary thing here is that any school that orders from century gets the magazine for free! If the magazine represents where martial arts is going in North America I am deeply saddend.