• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hiya, all. I have to bring this thread back to life. One reason is, I have a feeling that my dojang is becoming a McDojang :bawling: Taikudo-ka mentioned signs that my dojang has:

This is one. They raised the tuition to $120 for new students. The price also goes up once one reaches black belt.

This is another. I remember in TSD dojang that we were drilled for proper technique, and I worked really hard at it. But here, the student techniques ..... well, stink (to put it politely). I still work on my technique no matter if they do or not.

This is another.

Yet another one that is true. I got offered to get my 2nd BB in 3 years the first two months I was there. But it costs $900 to do so. We had a recent BB test, and two people didn't not deserve their BB. They didn't make any of their breaks, messed up on all their forms, ect. But yet, they failed a red belt that messed up once on one form, but aced everything else.

I think another clue is that our students are dropping like flies. They are leaving. Mostly higher ranks. I hear a rumor that something is going on, but I haven't found out yet (the reason the students are leaving).

Don't turn this into "art vs art" thing. Every art as bad schools. It is just a concern I have. Is this a McDojang? Am I being scammed?

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh NO!!

karatekid1975, i think you should start to shop around of a new School. Sorry.

Things you mention are clearly MCdojo stuff. At the end, they'll start to offer you fries and a Coke with your Black Belt.

Look for a serious martial arts School. that's my advice.

These are the "traits" that some people told me about a McDojo. I dunno if it's true or not.

-There are people with blackbelts that have been going only like one year.

-People getting hurt a lot

-Bad instructions

-Way too many students without that much instructors.

Interesting, I haven't heard the one about getting hurt a lot. I guess if they're just clumsily knocking each other around it's very possible :). I always figured people didn't get hurt enough in McDojos. The owners would be too afraid of scaring people away to let them get that physical... they'd make more money making things feel safe than they would making things feel real. But I guess you could find any manner of corruption out there.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

karatekid1975, you're also in a contract aren't you ?

Sounds like one to me -- a McDojo, that is. The students reflect the quality of the dojo and IMO the dojo should be scary when you first walk in there! If you're looking for a good boxing gym, look for the guys who have cauliflower ears! :D

SubmissionFighter wrote:

karatekid1975, i think you should start to shop around of a new School. Sorry.

Things you mention are clearly MCdojo stuff. At the end, they'll start to offer you fries and a Coke with your Black Belt.

Look for a serious martial arts School. that's my advice.>

OMG!!! I knew it. Phewy :( I have been looking for a new school. I found another TKD school that reminds me of Kickchick's school. I have a "good feeling" (like the one I had with my TSD dojang) about them. They learn a heck of a lot more self defense. They don't charge for belt tests, and they have a reasonable tuition (for this area anyways). No contracts more than three months. I contacted the master instructor, and he was very nice. He answered all my questions and he invited me to take free classes (which I will take him up on his offer :D ).

Freestyler wrote:

Yes, I am :bawling: I am looking for a way out, though. I found out how I can get myself banned from the school :brow: :wink: But I don't want to make myself look bad.

Laurie F

My school has this as well, but my school is not a McDojo. Part of the reason why we have this is for sparring gear. I know some people who have bought their gear off of eBay or some online discount store for "half as much as Century/Ikon charges". They charge that much because the gear is defective pieces of crap. The gear falls apart in no time.

The other reason does have to do with income. Gear sales can be pretty "profitable". But most of that profit goes into the monthly rent.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is this: when it comes to some of the smaller symptoms, one symptom doesn't define a McDojo. It's many small symptoms and a few big ones over time that will define it.

I kinda find it hard to believe that there are THAT many McDojos out there. Part of that is because in my small community, there aren't enough people to make it "profitable". Rent is pretty high, (in my standards anyway) people are few, and they would never put up with $300 a month.

However, maybe that's just my wishful thinking :(

I do agree though, that karatekid's school sounds like a McDojang. When training can advance through nothing but money, that's very disheartening. Sometimes schools offer programs that have extra training. My school for example, had a "Karate Kamp" where kids came in for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, and on the 5th day they tested for their next stripe, while still getting to test in class. Basically, it puts them a month ahead in their training...for $75. However, 15 hours is pretty much a whole month's training.

But $900 to get to 2nd black...just sounds fishy.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Well or just walk fast :)

If you like the new school ... go there and I hope it will be OK.

About the old one ... hmm What's that particulat thing that would get you banned? Perhaps you could try it, if it's not dishonourable :karate:

How long have you got to stay there?

You could try to make it worth. Work hard, find a friend to sparr and do a lot of exercises. Whenever it's "break time" use it to work with your peer. Or make them want you to go :)

I signed a three year contract (What the heck was I thinking ?!?!?!?!?! Yipes!). I had a six month one before that one, so there is 2 and 1/2 years left in this one.

Ramy, as far as getting "banned," All I have to do is go to one of our other schools (three in all) more than I do this one. It might take time, though. Or threaten to "cross-train" (they are totally against cross-training).

Laurie F