• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have yet to see what some have mentioned as a McDojo. What are some characteristics of these places? Also what are the specific names of some of these dojos or organizations?

When two tigers fight, one dies and the other is mortally wounded.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the "traits" that some people told me about a McDojo. I dunno if it's true or not.

-There are people with blackbelts that have been going only like one year.

-People getting hurt a lot

-Bad instructions

-Way too many students without that much instructors.

Hmm well that's all I know. Like I said I dunno if their true. :nod:

Cya :grin:

Hiya :karate:

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

I think there are two kinds of "bad" martial arts schools - the McDojo, and the ParaMilitary Dojo...

The McDojo is basically there to take your money.

I'd say the main signs are ineffective technique and compulsory exhorbitant expenses, like hundreds of dollars for grading tests, expensive certificates that must be bought, compulsory purchase of all equipment from the school, even though it's just a normal gi and belt. Offers like making you a "black belt" in a few months, promoting people based on how much money they've paid to the school, rather than ability, or promoting kids because parents complain loudly.

Another good one I havn't seen mentioned here is signing people up for 6 month or more "courses" in a big group then progressing the course so fast most people drop out through inability to keep up.

The ParaMilitary Dojo is a different breed again. If the participants wear camouflage gi, or ninja suits or "army field uniforms" from the disposal store, and the leader is a freak with a swaszticka tatooed on his forehead or something, weapons training with live blades and spiked chains begins on day 1, and everyone looks like they're on crack (even if they're not)... then immediately walk on, act normally, do not run, do not attract attention, DO NOT make eye contact.

Particularly if you hear the students address the teacher as "My Master" or "Mein Fuhrer"...

KarateForums.com - Sempai

Yes... having a teacher that claims to have been taught by Yoda is also a bad sign...

Particularly if he got his black belt in less than a year! Why that slimy little green *&$#%*

Particularly since he made Luke a "master" in his so called "art" before his buddies on the Falcon even had time to catch a meal or a "bathroom stop".

KarateForums.com - Sempai

Woah stop right there! :kaioken:

Many FINE martial artists have been taught by that little green alien from Dagobah :grin:

--- and did you know it's officially Star Wars day in just a few weeks time? On the 4th day of next month to be precise.

"May the 4th be with you" :lol:

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima https://www.docepares.co.uk

Qualified Instructor : JKD Concepts https://www.jkdc.co.uk

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

I own a stuffed Yoda from 1977 that is worth over $200.00 Just wanted to share that with y'all.

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi