• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Calling Kempo (Kenpo) Practitioners - Universal Diagram

Jiffy

Hi There,

As most Kenpo/Kempo practitioners would know, Grandmaster Ed Parker created a diagram he called the Universal Diagram. This was used to depict movements and targets for combat.

I have always been facinated by this diagram, but would like to know more. What can you tell me about it?

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It is actually called the Universal Pattern. If you google it like "universal pattern, kenpo" you will come up with a myriad of explanation.

http://www.familymartialartscenter.com/insights/ani-univ.gif

I have put quite a bit of time into the study of the pattern.

Extremely sophisticated, and slightly elusive at first, once you get the idea behind it, it truly helps your understanding of the system, and its techniques. After grasping the universal pattern concept, I had a whole new light shined upon my practical application of the techniques. One of those so-called 'light bulb moments' :brow:

The pattern also helped me to understand other concepts such as the zone dimensional theory, circles of protection, and more still.

Ed Parker created the Universal pattern as a representation of the angles and paths of action employed in Kenpo Karate. It is used to illustrate Kenpo concepts and principles. The pattern is a one-dimensional geometric symbol, but to be viewed properly, one should imagine it as a three-dimensional structure. This structure has a number of planes and the Kenpo practitioners should imagine themselves standing within it. The straight and circular lines should be familiar to the Kenpo practitioner and one should be able to recognise the figure eight pattern, the heart shape, diamonds, circles, triangles, etc. It aids with understanding the interrelationship between linear and circular movement and the paths that they follow. This is an essential aid in understanding Kenpo forms and techniques.

Excerpt from Infinite Insights into Kenpo Volume 4 - "The idea for the UNIVERSAL PATTERN was conceived by the flick of a switch. Because I was tired while viewing Karate techniques, instead of changing the reels on my movie projector, I decided to turn the reverse switch on instead. Studying myself on film was most beneficial. It was an excellent educational means to critique and improve my moves. this useful tool also allowed me to become more objective - to view myself through the eyes of an observer. Watching my movements in reverse changed my entire perspective of the Martial Arts. In fact, it fascinated me beyond my expectations. I was instantly aware that the natural forward motion viewed on the screen was only half of what motion really contains - motion in reverse completed the other half. I there upon discovered motion not only to be multi dimensional, but multi directional as well. I was, therefore, determined to design a pattern that would help me understand movement more thoroughly. I knew I had to have a directional key to movement - a design that would help aid students to systematically understand the interrelationship of linear and circular movement and the paths which they were to follow. Since both are unavoidably used in combat, they should be learned from a practical standpoint. Practicality, as we discussed, borders between simplicity and complexity."

hope that helps.

are you IKCA?

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous