• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Judo question here

I'm sorry about asking this question but my brother is doing Judo and asked me this question, since I study Gracie BJJ I couldn't really answer this, but here goes! Can anyone please tell me if in Judo you can use your legs too choke someone? Exacly like Royce Gracie did in his fight against Dan Severn I think it was a sort of Triangle Choke.

http://www.shadowmafia.com/DVD/PPV/UFC/4/Highlights8BIG.jpg

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/pictures/RoyceDefSevern_CHK.jpg

[/img]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah, but in Judo they usually apply the hold from the side rather than right underneath. It's pretty much a BJJ triangle choke, but it looks like the guy getting choked fell over.

Judo allows most any choke, but if you don't get it quickly, you get stood up. Also, there are lots of different rules for different ages, skill levels, etc.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Anyone *can* do a triangle choke, whether your brother can depends on his body type, his flexibility, and what style of groudnwork he prefers (i.e. preference for top over bottom and vice versa).

Judo allows all chokes, but you cannot choke over the chin.

Yes the triangle choke fround it's way into BJJ in the 70's and came from judo.

You can use it in Judo competition, the only problem is that all they have to do is lift you off the mat to get restarted.

edit: I used the wrong name for it..

Edited by TJS

Thubs,

The technique is called sankaku jime in judo.

In competition you must trap an arm of else it is considered just a leg scissors and you will be stood up for safety reasons.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, but in Judo they usually apply the hold from the side rather than right underneath. It's pretty much a BJJ triangle choke, but it looks like the guy getting choked fell over.

Judo allows most any choke, but if you don't get it quickly, you get stood up. Also, there are lots of different rules for different ages, skill levels, etc.

bjj practicioners will ideally want to get to the side as well, if you can only see one ear youve got the best position for the choke. thing is, pulling that off is even harder than pulling off a straight one, which is hard enough. (just for anyone interested, if you have a triangle going and need to tighten it up, one thing to do is take your arm on the same side of his arm that is OUT and grab his leg to pivot yourself 90 degrees or so. that way youll be doing the triangle from the side rather than straight on. usually only works if opponent is standing or stacking you.)