• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best form for kicks

mourning_

Savate is commonly overlooked. Savate is a French martial art, that is a combination of old street fighting methods, e.g. those used by the French Apache ("A-pash") gang, and the incorporation of Asian kicking methods observed by sailors, from arts such as Muay Thai and Karate. The two historical figures implicated in the development of the art are Michael Casseaux and Charles Lecour (who would incorporate a boxing curriculum as a result of him losing a fight to an Englishman who used punching alone).

Yes, but when you do Savate you've got to wear their tights. Maybe I'm old school, but guys fighting in tights? :D BTW, do they use elbow and knee strikes in Savate?

Also, if kum gek do mixes western style boxing with Muay thai kicks, isn't that Muay Thai by another name?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Savate is formed of French kick fighting and English boxing, making it a rich European martial art, and a unique western style of kickboxing.

The system does employ eye gouging, wrestling and head butting, but never at the expense of it's original premise.

Savate emphasises technical ability and control, rather than force, making it totally safe to practice. It retains its martial roots while being a superlative modern fighting sport.

It is said that Kun Gek Do is a blend of Korean Art and Japanese Arts, along with principles of Muay Thai and Philipono Fighting. It primarily takes its hand techniques from western boxing while the foot techniques involved come from both Taekwondo and Muay Thai kickboxing.

Some Kun Gek Do instructors focus more on those principles which make them similar to Savate, while others incorporate the many facets from other systems as well.

Everyone has their own flavor nowadays.

Later!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

without a doubt Tae Kwon Do, my life revolves around Tae Kwon do and if you really want emphasys on kicking, thats your art. though i am not saying that aother arts don't have good kicks or anything, but not only is Tae Kwon Do well known for its insane power and high flying kicks, but kicks are our specialty

nomatter what it be, will power and heart produces great things

I think it is wrong to say "yeah Tae Kwon Do has a lot of kicks but will they do anything if you're mugged? "Insert style here" has a lot of strong kicks, this style is good instead!".

Many martial arts share some of the same kicks, and second, you can know all the kicks in the book and still not have a strong kick. It doesn't come magically once you are in style A or style B, you produce the power from your muscles and movements.

You could know the greatest style in the world and if you don't make it strong yourself, it will do no good against a mugger or in any situation except demonstrations and kata.

Moral of my story, you are not taught strong kicks, you are taught kicks, and you develop strong kicks yourself from what you are taught.

And to answer the orginal question about which style to learn the kicks in, I would recommend either Tae Kwon Do, or possibly Wushu. I am not extremely familar with Wushu but I know that today, many schools teach "demonstration" Wushu. It is not necessarily a "real" martial arts style, but you will learn to do some crazy kicks.

All the best,

Tom

Even Tae Kwon Do has to give some credit to Capoeira for having some seriously flashy kicks.

Savate would be great, but where would you find a school?? I can ALMOST throw a rock and hit a TKD school around here- a couple are even good schools and not McDojos. Savate?? NEVER seen a Savate school or a school that teaches Savate. OK, Capoeira either, come to think of it...

ANYWAY, find a good school first and THEN worry about learning kicks. Almost any good school will teach you good kicking technique. A Tea Kwon Do school will probably teach to more spinning and aerial techniques, but a Shotokan school will teach you good technique even if those kicks aren't always head level. So will a good Goju Ryu school, Shito Ryu or almost any other style I can name. The school and the instructor is the important thing.

shi wa hei to de aru

"All are equal in the grave"

....Find something that you like, if you like it you'll do it. You're not going to listen to people online.

REAL muay thai has flashy kicks that have much power, knockdown karate has flashier kicks but usually not as much power, Savate is good stuff....

TKD can be but avoid any TKD school that has kids that are 16 and 3rd degree black belts...I don't care if they've been training since they were 4. Avoid the McDojo at all cost, no matter what style it is...unless you really want a McBlackbelt with cheese.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=