mourning_

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering what's the best form of martial art for kicks? Im interested in learning kicks but i must first become flexible =/ ! But what MA should i look into?

Tae Kwon Do is probably the most popular martial art, and also is know for it's kicking.

I would ask you why you want to study martial arts. I ask this as since there are MANY MANY MANY horrible TKD schools. Don't get me wrong, like everything there are some good and some bad, but since it's so popular that the numbers have just resulted in so many folks in the style and a push to sport as opposed to a focus in self defense.

[note to those that study TKD, this isn't ment to be a flame against the style but just my observations based on what I see in my area]

SO, if you're looking to get in shape, do a lot of kicking, and are sports focus look at TKD, but shop around for a good dojang.

If you're looking for something more "hard core" I'd suggest you get on the web and do some searches for different style.

I can tell you that Uechi is mostly a striking and grappling style with some kicking, so I can't recommend it to you if your goal is mostly kicking.

It really depends what your looking for. My advice to you is to try out, if possible, and research the following:

Savate

TKD

Kyokushin Karate

Muay Thai

Yaw Yan (extensive kicking curriculum) (http://www.yawyan.com/kicks.htm

Kum Gek Do

Savate is commonly overlooked. Savate is a French martial art, that is a combination of old street fighting methods, e.g. those used by the French Apache ("A-pash") gang, and the incorporation of Asian kicking methods observed by sailors, from arts such as Muay Thai and Karate. The two historical figures implicated in the development of the art are Michael Casseaux and Charles Lecour (who would incorporate a boxing curriculum as a result of him losing a fight to an Englishman who used punching alone).

Kun Gek Do is a hybrid art comprising the punches of western boxing and the kicks of Muay Thai and Taekwondo.

http://www.concentric.net/~sdseong/kmar.vid.kgd.htm

Click the link for more on KGD.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

well I am currently doing Judo and am having some success so far and i plan on sticking with that for awhile. The dojo i go to also has Bushodokan Karate. (spelling), so i plan on taking that later on down the road. (in about a year or so), but was wondering if it would be a good idea to try another martial art mainly just for "kicks"....kicks as in kicking, not "just for the heck of it" (notice the 2 dif meanings in kicks...lol)

what should i look for in a GOOD TKD dojo? any ideas?

Here's one. When you visit the school, watch to see if when they are executing their kicks, that their hands are in a fighting position, and not down at their sides. IMO, too many TKD schools focus so much on the kicking techniques that they almost forget that they have two more weapons at their disposal. Just my opinion! :wink:

"Blessed be the Lord my Rock, and my keen and firm Strength, Who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight." Psalm 144:1

You could also try Tang Soo Do. This martial art looks a lot like Taekwondo. It contains a lot of kicking and is in general less 'sportly' than Taekwondo. Tang Soo Do and Taekwondo have a common origin. Tang Soo Do stands closer to Karate than Taekwondo, because they still practise the Karate kata's.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

In general a "good school" is going to offer some or all of the following:

1. At LEAST one free class, many offer a week

2. The instructor does not avoid answering questions (assuming they are presented in a respectful manner and at the proper time. ie... not in the middle of class.)

3. The instructor actually teaches at least some of the classes.

4. Avoid schools that only offer long term contracts (1yr or more).

5. The class seems to have what you're looking for.

6. The instructor has credentials and can back them up. For example: If the instructor learned from "Joe Smith" and can't seem to tell you how to get ahold of Joe Smith or who Joe Smith's instructor was... it may be shakey.

7. Avoid schools that promise rank advancement at a certian pace. Advancement is a very personal thing. Don't confuse this with a general time line...ex: about 6 years to earn a black belt vs. you will earn black belt in 6 years.

Many other great points were offered before this. Good luck in finding what you're looking for.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Don't limit yourself. Many dojos offer free trial memberships of 2 or 3 classes. Check them all out and pick the one you really enjoy. There are many great instructors out there and many great schools. Good luck in your journey.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.