• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Since you've already got the ground work covered by wrestling, I'd go withsomething to augment your stand-up fighting skills like boxing or Muay Thai. If you can end a confrontation quickly standing up, go for it.

On the otherhand, perhaps you're not thinking about street applications so much as learning something new just for your own enjoyment. In this case, anything goes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traditional Jujutsu and perhaps some roman greco wrestling...

A true Jujutsu instructor, is supposed to teach ground fighting as seen in BJJ, or at least something close to it.

:)

Good luck!

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 2 months later...
Hello I take Tae Kwan Do, and was contemplating learning another art as well. What art do you guys think would work well in combanation with tkd on the streets? I was thinking hapkido. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

I'd say add a style that includes grabs, and strikes like Uechi or one of the other Okaniwan arts that include grabs, and you'd have a great combination. Your TKD is good for long distance when you can use those extended kicks, you're wrestling is great for the ground, and a grabing/striking art would give you the close standing you're currently lacking. Frankly, the combo would be quite scary if you master all of them.

Hello I take Tae Kwan Do, and was contemplating learning another art as well. What art do you guys think would work well in combanation with tkd on the streets? I was thinking hapkido. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

I'd say add a style that includes grabs, and strikes like Uechi or one of the other Okaniwan arts that include grabs, and you'd have a great combination. Your TKD is good for long distance when you can use those extended kicks, you're wrestling is great for the ground, and a grabing/striking art would give you the close standing you're currently lacking. Frankly, the combo would be quite scary if you master all of them.

yup okinawan arts or southern chinese arts would do you a great deal of help.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

one of the main things TKD doesn't teach is groundwork and seeing as most fights end up on the ground you should learn grappling or somethin like choke wrestling.

A machine can do the work of 50 men, no machine can do the work of one extraordinary man though

one of the main things TKD doesn't teach is groundwork and seeing as most fights end up on the ground you should learn grappling or somethin like choke wrestling.

If your are skilled enough, these facts dont have to apply to you. While since it is true that most fights do end up on the ground, its good to have a knowledge of the situation however, its best you know yourself first. Fight your own fight, then consider others with an open minded training strategy(this comes in time I think).

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Tae Kwon Do is the artillery officer of the striking department. Grabbing some mid-to-short range strikes from boxing/muay thai/kung-fu/karate could be a God-send.

Just my 2 cents, since everyone else already said something akin to wrestling.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• 3 weeks later...

Could probably use a little more info. Are you in a traditional TKD school? I've trained primarily in non-traditional TKD but had a brief exposure to a traditional school. In the non-traditional schools, we practiced leg sweeps, groin strikes and lots of punching. I trained in a traditional school after moving to a small town and went to one of their tournaments. I fought in black belt division and got a point deducted and screamed at in Korean for throwing a well controlled head punch. Lost the fight because of that dirty technique. I told the instructor/owner of the school that they give you trophies for doing that in open tournaments. Better yet, in street fights, you maybe get to go on living.

I quit that school about a week later but before I did, I just had to ask the black belts there this question..."What do you think the first 2 things are that will happen to you in a street fight?" They had no idea so I offered, "You'll probably either get kicked in the crotch or punched in the face." They were incredulous. No way this would happen!

Ummmhh...okay.

If you have good kicks and can grapple but have been taught that your hands are for keeping your balance while your kicking, maybe boxing is the answer. Any system that will teach you how to get those hands working.

It's a nice fall back position when you get to be a geezer like me and your legs don't want to jump up in the sky like they used to.

• 2 weeks later...