• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello I take Tae Kwan Do, and was contemplating learning another art as well. What art do you guys think would work well in combanation with tkd on the streets? I was thinking hapkido. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hapkido's got some good techniques, but there's one thing to watch out for. If you train those techniques against only a static partner, you probably won't be able to pull them off on the street.

Frankly, you're already into wrestling, which, if you train hard, it is going to make you into a far better grappler than traditional hapkido. Combat Hapkido might be a bit better than pure wrestling because of its BJJ and wrestling influences, but you might be better off training hard in wrestling than picking up an additional art.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

i think you should find a striking system, since you have awide array of kicks from taekwondo and you have wrestling you should take a good solid striking art

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

depends what you want

if you want another striking art then i would recomend shotokan, as they have a lot of similarities, but also a lot of differences that compliement TKD

if you want grappling, then Combat hapkido will give you some good upright techniques and throws, while BJJ will give you a lot of good round work with not many if any throws.

or you could do a weapons art like Kali.

it all depends what you want to learn.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

If it's arieal kicking you want than you might want to look into some of the more acrobatic kung fu styles.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

You already have standup striking and ground grappling, so I personally would be looking for some standup grappling.

This could be any one of the following (or more)

Japanese Jiu Jitsu

Aikido

Judo

Hapkido

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Hey,

Obviously you have Tae Kwon Do for striking and wrestling which will help with takedowns and takedown defense as well as a base understanding of groundwork. If you are looking to being a complete fighter I would look into an art that has sumissions in its curriculum such as BJJ, sambo, judo, shootfighting or something similar. Oh, and for the aerial kicks, maybe try XMA. I have no experience in it but their acrobatics are pretty cool. Good luck.

McNerny :)

A good technique is beautiful but a beautiful technique is not always good.

-Hirokazu Kanazawa

Find a modern wushu school for aerial kicks, but, it wouldn't be your answer for an art that "would work well in combination with tkd on the streets" No aerial kick will.

Hapkido should do you well and coupled with wrestling, I think you'll be all right from there.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali