• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Greatest Inspiration

I joined karate at a real low point in my life...I had very low self-esteem and various other issues...

I'm happy to say that karate has created a completely different me. I have much more confidence and respect for myself and others.

So here I am 5 years later...my dojo is my second home. I am seriously addicted. I don't think I could live without karate!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone else that started before me. i realized they could hand my butt to me, so i started, and now thats all ill talk about most of the time

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

My inspiration started with the movie the Chinese Boxer with Jimmy Wang Yu which I saw in the 1970's and of course there was Bruce Lee and then Mas.Oyama. My current inspiration is my own Wing Chun sifu who is a long way away, but he inspires me on a daily basis.

My new sifu is also very inspirational and will hopefully play an important part in my martial evolution in a different style of kung fu.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

I have an embarrising reason: Bloodsport with Van Damme.

Yes, I admit it.

But on the serious side, here I am 15 years later after that movie and have a 2nd degree black belt, so I guess it could be worse.

I still love that movie.

AOG

I wouldn't be too embarrassed about that. I love that movie. The acting is a bit cheesy, and Van Damme is a bit of an over actor in it, but I thought the correography was very good, and it demonstrated alot of different styles to everyone that dosen't know the difference in the different martial systems. People are still like that. You talk to some of the guys I work with and if you get into disscussion of specific styles they get all weird on you, mock it and say something like, "It's all karate" or "it's all the same thing".

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

The way that my first teacher handled himself as a person ( I worked with him). I had quite a temper before then.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

It was myself that wanted to do martial art and once i statrted i got hooked and i guess bruce lee and jackie chan have been my inspiration but the thing that gives me the biggest inspiration is the want for me to improve even when i get better i want to be perfect at everything not just martial art.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Chinese Connection was the American release name for Fist of Fury, when it was first released way back in the 70's. The movie was released in America right after the French Connection was a big hit, the producers were not sure if using the title of Fist of Fury would sell to Americans.

er... i dont think that was an issue considering the american release of the big boss was titled fist of fury. and that came before chinese connection.

couldnt use the same title for 2 movies, and i guess they figured people might think chinese conection is a sequel to french connection, but this time more violent and with bruce lee :P

edit: as for my inspiration, would have to be a combination of karate kid, bruce lee and my dad that got me interested.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

I have to admit, I accidentally fell into martial arts by being a nosy little kid. I followed my babysitter around everywhere she went. She joined a kung fu school, so I followed her. She quit and I stayed for years until my instructor died. I started back up as an adult in Shotokan because I remember how much I loved martial arts. Years later, I am still training and having a blast. I am glad for my babysitter. Thanks Marion!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.