• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training outside of the dojo?

AirBorne-karateka

I have been studying shorin ryu on and off(mostly off due to the army) for five years and i was curious to know if anyone knows a good way to train on my own when I am unable to make it to the dojo?

It is necessary to drink alcohol and pursue other fun human activities. The art (i.e. karate) of someone who is too serious has no "flavor."

-motobu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just train the stuff you train at the dojo. Do lots of repeats. Of course, you might do some jogging and weights, too - stamina and strength never hurts.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I have been studying shorin ryu on and off(mostly off due to the army) for five years and i was curious to know if anyone knows a good way to train on my own when I am unable to make it to the dojo?

How about just repeating your last class on your own?

I just did a quick search on the web and found these articles:

http://www3.baylor.edu/BUKarate/articles/WorkingOutByYourself.html

http://www.jkasv.com/article9909.html

I like to do some running and biking and weights or other excercises to mix it up. I go to a few dojos so not much time or need to self-train but when I want to I do some kata on my own.

Thanks, with my job I go months on end without making it to the dojo...

thanks for the suggestions, anyone have any suggested reading, Iv read tons and am looking to explore even further...Im tired of alot of the same ol same, so any one no of anything good.

It is necessary to drink alcohol and pursue other fun human activities. The art (i.e. karate) of someone who is too serious has no "flavor."

-motobu

Thanks, with my job I go months on end without making it to the dojo...

thanks for the suggestions, anyone have any suggested reading, Iv read tons and am looking to explore even further...Im tired of alot of the same ol same, so any one no of anything good.

There is so much online these days you can never get through it all.

How long have you been training?

If you have any significat time in the dojo you should be able to know what you need to work on. For instance stretching, kata, hojo undo, prearranged sequences, sparring techniques.

In my case, I do some cardo work to warm up. I then do my warms, kata, and then whatever else I need to work on.

Before going into the gym, I plan my workout. I ALWAYS know exactly what I have to work on. This way my workouts are very efficent.

How long have you been training?

If you have any significat time in the dojo you should be able to know what you need to work on. For instance stretching, kata, hojo undo, prearranged sequences, sparring techniques.

In my case, I do some cardo work to warm up. I then do my warms, kata, and then whatever else I need to work on.

Before going into the gym, I plan my workout. I ALWAYS know exactly what I have to work on. This way my workouts are very efficent.

My main concern isnt what to actualy do during the workout although all the tips have been great, I know all 18 of our kata ect. ect, and have a good grasp on the art its self, I am looking to broaden my understanding of my art and further my knowledge of what exactly it is I am doing. This is more of a education and mentle progression process then physical. I am looking to sharpen my reflexes, speed, and focus but at the same time learn thee true way.

I have been training for five years off and on (mostly off because my job has taken me over seas several times :evil: ) So as far as what things to do physicaly during the workout Im clear

-motobu

Thanks.

Well I think you answered your own question if you think about it.

Since you know the system, regular workout will help your speed, and power. You might not feel like it, but trust me if you lay off for a long period you'll feel like a slug. So practice, practice, practice. Also believe it or not, practice SLOW SLOW SLOW. Go REAL SLOW. Doing kata slow will help your form and help you get them perfect. Do a kata as fast as you can, then Try a few kata in slow motion, then try them full speed again. You'll be amazed at the results if you've never done this.

As for turning in. Read as much as you can. There are many books like The Art of War that focus on the internal aspects. Also try to meditate, and try to only think about your kata and nothing else when doing your kata (if you haven't done it). In other words try to mediate during your kata. Breath slowly, and focus on your body. YOU WILL slowly get the internal aspects.

FYI, I'm working on this myself, so thanks for mentioning this.