• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I ´ve practiced wrestling...and its ok....But the problem is the wrestler does not hit , so...you just learn how to reduce and dominate the enemy , but you will not learn defending from punches and kicks in the floor.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that the only downfall that wrestling has to BJJ is that wrestlers are constantly working for a pin, and if they get into this mindset in self-defense, it may get them in trouble. Wrestlers try to avoid going to their backs, and will do what it takes to avoid it, whereas BJJers don't mind it, because they aren't conerned with a pin, and they know that they can control their opponent from their, and still submit them at times.

However, wrestlers are usually very well conditioned, and this is an advantage for them. But, BJJers are probably similarly conditioned, so it may be a moot point.

• 2 months later...

Wrestling for me has always been more of a starting point for alot grappling techniques. Many wrestlers I've sparred with are very strong and very fit, but don't seem to have many tools to finish a fight. If anything, the wrestler's strength will be to tire out the opponent because of how great a shape they are. Pure wrestlers will always have trouble with guys that 1> finish them from the ground, or 2> avoid the takedowns. That said, in my own experience, if a Pure wrestler fights a pure Brazilian Jiu Jistu fighter, and both are in same shape, wrestlers will look more dominant, but ultimately BJJ will have the edge in actually finishing a fight.

Wrestling combined with BJJ = 80% complete grappler, and I would top it off with some Judo for that last 20%

Wrestling for me has always been more of a starting point for alot grappling techniques. Many wrestlers I've sparred with are very strong and very fit, but don't seem to have many tools to finish a fight. If anything, the wrestler's strength will be to tire out the opponent because of how great a shape they are. Pure wrestlers will always have trouble with guys that 1> finish them from the ground, or 2> avoid the takedowns. That said, in my own experience, if a Pure wrestler fights a pure Brazilian Jiu Jistu fighter, and both are in same shape, wrestlers will look more dominant, but ultimately BJJ will have the edge in actually finishing a fight.

Wrestling combined with BJJ = 80% complete grappler, and I would top it off with some Judo for that last 20%

I agree with pretty much all of that. What I like about wrestling so much is mainly because it is readily available in many areas. I think that if wrestling is available to my boy, I will see if he gets into it, so he has a good base on the ground. It is definitely a good starting point.

• 3 months later...

I wish I could still remember my wrestling moves from long ago. When I start grappling, I'd like to have something to work from other than the hazy cobwebs of an earlier life. Must...get...wrestling...book...

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I wish I could still remember my wrestling moves from long ago. When I start grappling, I'd like to have something to work from other than the hazy cobwebs of an earlier life. Must...get...wrestling...book...

I think if you just got into it, Baron, you would be surprised at what comes back to you. You may surprise yourself.

I think if you just got into it, Baron, you would be surprised at what comes back to you. You may surprise yourself.

Maybe so, though I don't really have a place to do it. I checked one of those books out from the library, the one for beginners. It's pretty good, but it doesn't say exactly how to do the different moves and it stops short of some of those that I remember. It was a good refresher but I will look for the other book.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Maybe so, though I don't really have a place to do it. I checked one of those books out from the library, the one for beginners. It's pretty good, but it doesn't say exactly how to do the different moves and it stops short of some of those that I remember. It was a good refresher but I will look for the other book.

Thats cool. Let me know how the next book is.

I didn't really think about not having a place to practice. That is an inconvience.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Baron, what kind of grappling are you looking into?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt