• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to gain better balance

Co_Co

Have you seen those exercise balls? They're excellent for building up your stabilizer muscles (which is responsible for balance). Lately I've been working with a personal trainer and she has designed a workout for me that revolves around one of these balls.

I also noticed while watching the Olympics last night that the one competitor (not sure what she was in, skiiing or skating I believe) she would stand ontop of the ball in a crouched position and basically just struggle not to fall off. She made it look easy, somehow I get the feeling when I try it I'm going to fall flat on my face.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One exercise that I find is really goood for my balance is to stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Lift up one leg (knee bent) until you can grab the bottom of your foot. Now, without letting go of your foot, starighten your leg and bring it out to the side and hold it there for several seconds or more, or until you start losing your balance. Now, alot of people try it when I show them, and alot of them say after failing at first that they can't do it, because they're too tall or their arms aren't long enough or whatever. That isn't the case.... I learned it from a guy who was 6'6".

If you find that you can't hold on to your foot as your leg straightens, it is only because you aren't getting your knee up high enough. Your knee has to get up there high or you won't be able to straighten your leg and not break contact with your foot. This is the other advantage of this exercise. It helps teach you to get that knee up there, which I don't have to explain is important in Karate. So it helps with keeping those knees up, is great for building and mantaining balance, and by bringing your leg out to the side, you get a nice little stretch out of it too.

Change legs and repeat!

If you're reaching for the stars, don't be satisfied with touching the ceiling.

Practice kata(especialy the ones designed for balance development).

This way you not only develop balance, but strengthen your kata as well. I also suggest moving through movements slowly and tediously.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

All of the suggestions for balance are great. But I would add that you should do something every day. Balance isn't something you learn over night. But a little every day can really add up.

In Uechi we do Jumbi Undo exercises. The leg lefts and leg circles are highly effective at helping you get better balance.

I have to agree with the kata, Chinto(one of my favorites) and the Rohai would help you. I do the leg circles and yes, raising the knee high is very important in karate(and every MA I have seen that has kicks). All good advice and good points made.

The more you train in Karate, I think you will and should find your balance increasing. Just keep training, Ossu! ;)

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=