• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Vertical or Horizontal Fist?

I think there is no better punch out of the two. They both excel in some places. You just have to know when to use one and when to use the other.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm understanding this I have trained on both types. I find that I get more destructive power with the Horizontal. Maybe it's me, maybe it's all in my mind.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Flat punches can generate more sheer power, vertical punches can fit easier going up under the ribs or throat and best used for certain angles. At least this is how we utilize those two types.

To be worn out is to be renewed.

-Lao Tzu

In Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu a vertical punch is for power, it is called a shiringi (excuse the spelling, im tired) and horizantal is called matsumura, vertical is used for power and horizantal is used for technigue, you just haveuse the right punch at the same time.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Yes indeed some technique are executed better with a vert. punch. Just below the solar plexes the "pocket" is a real good fit and if done right can cause a great deal of damage.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt