• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Vertical or Horizontal Fist?

How were you taught? What do you think are the advantages of each?

Technically, Combat Hapkido teaches a vertical punching technique, but I have instructors from boxing backgrounds, plus on the street we are taught to use palm heels, elbows, and knees more than puinches.

However, with the variety of training I have, I find that when it comes to punching I normally use a horizontal fist, except for JKD-style straight leads. I think a horizontal fist makes it easier to transfer power through the target, but maybe that's just me.

I've also been taught a vertical punch is more stable and safer than a horizontal punch. I have no evidence for or against this.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was taught vertical, now it goes horizontal.

The evidence for the vertical being stabler is flawed IMO, it forces a twist at the elbow to show how the bones come out of alignment, of course you can keep them aligned exactly the same and still rotate at the shoulder, which protects your jaw line.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Vertical for straights and hooks to the body.

definitely.

though I avoid using hooks in fights.

In Kajukenbo(mostly kenpo): we mix the 2 to fit the situation better.

Why no hooks to the body? Up close, if you hook to the ribs, you'll get them to drop their guard (or beak their ribs) to set-up something to the head. If you're close enough to hook to the head, you might as well throw an elbow-strike, unless this is a friendly fight.

Hooks are one of your most important punches in a fight, right up there with the jab and cross. If you are fighting opposite leads a good lead hook is a must.

In a clinch hooks and uppercuts are your two main attacks.

Now, here's another question for you all, on hooks, vertical or horizontal?

Going bareknuckle, vertical hist on hooks might be a good idea, otherwise you can end up impacting with the smaller knuckles, the main cause of what is known as a "Boxers Fracture"

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!