• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Style will suit me more?

Killerbuu

ok i always wanted to learn karate, all i do is watch fighting movies, and play fighting games. I have a pair of nun chucks, and i am really fast with them. I can Punch fast, but can't kick that high, but i can last a long time with out getting tried. I am willing to do anything. even sometimes i punch with 5 pound weights to make me faster

what should i use as my style, i always loved to see bruce lee fight, but i don't know if i would be good at that, because of his kicks, but i can do most of the JKD punch combos by watching bruce fight

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are you goals in starting a martial art? Would you like to be skilled in self defense, full contact, point fighting? Are you looking for personal growth or fitness? If you could give us an idea, we would be more able to give you some ideas.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

When I think of self-defense, I think of the term in two different ways.

1. Self-Defense Techniques

2. Self-Defense Fighting (also coined combative fighting)

Number 1 is the most commonly thought of within the MA and that is the collection of basic techniques one uses in order to avoid {or defeat} a particular strike or grab.

The other type of self-defense (#2), is the self-defense people think of when they see a person consistently win in those street situations using a wide variety of different fighting (offensive and defensive) methods in which to win.

In addition to schools that teach mostly self-defense techniques, and or point sparring, there is:

Traditional Martial Arts

Martial Sport Schools

Many of the supposed traditional schools, such as shotokan and TKD, promote themselves as traditional, but really just teach a multitude of self-defense techniques (and or step sparring), tournament fighting, kata, and likewise. That is, they are a blend of traditional with sport.

There are those, traditional schools that just teach karate (or kung fu) for the its own sake.

There are also schools that focus on training people how to defensively fight in real-life situations.

I agree with others that have said you will be hard pressed to find a school that teaches both real life fighting (#2), and point sparring.

This calls for investigative work on your own behalf.

Good luck!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

sel-defence techniques without live sparring is like swinging a bat at the air to learn to play baseball.

It's all hypothetical nonsense that has no basis, and most of the stuff taught as "Self-defence techniques" is complete nonsense that will not work on a non-willing opponent, even if said opponent where to excecute the overly exagerrated and completely unrealistic attack the technique is practiced against.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

well over the self defence, i reather take point fighting, since u can't combine.

i think an aggressive art will suit me more, but i can only barly kick over my head. some type of offence karate(or kung fu) that i can use in tornments and other types of competion, something that goes along with my nun chuck skills"which is the only thing i got close to Karate.

Also keep in mind that both point sparring and self defence have little resemblence to the martial arts moves seen in movies and TV shows.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

well any Aggresive styles insted of self defence? i think i would love to fight back then self defence, i just want to get in the karate world u know, and live a karate life. i was always infulenced by Asain arts or Japan arts and cultures. please let me know a name of a style that will best suit me, and i can look it up, read about it and study the style.

i don't like "boxing" or "kick boxing"

*note* *i am lightweight*

Thanks.