• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your opinion on styles

Nidankid23

Do you notice tension between styles of martial arts?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you notice tension between styles of martial arts?

• Yes
    • No

I know it is ingrained in most martial artists that they should respect eachother and live and train in harmony with each other, but I have found that their tends to be tension between some styles of martial arts. I am just looking to see if anyone else has noticed this and their examples on it. I know around where I train their tends to be a tension between Tae Kwon Do and Karate. This is a little awkward for me because I am a black belt in both. Your thoughts?

"The fastest draw is when the sword never leaves the scabbard,

The strongest way to block, is never to provoke a blow,

And the cleanest cut is the one withheld."

"Karate is a defensive art from beginning to end. " - Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think there are close minded practitioners who tend to critise things they dont like, the only tension i see is usually in history arguments.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I think there are close minded practitioners who tend to critise things they dont like, the only tension i see is usually in history arguments.

I agree, history can always be a quenstionable area. I also seen what you mean about close minded practitioners. I think some martial artists get blinded by a pride that can often times be misplaced. :(

"The fastest draw is when the sword never leaves the scabbard,

The strongest way to block, is never to provoke a blow,

And the cleanest cut is the one withheld."

"Karate is a defensive art from beginning to end. " - Gichin Funakoshi

I am glad that you posted this question. Have you ever read any of the "to the editor" articles in some of the Martial Arts magazines? I can't believe how people put each other and their styles down. I think that if someone is training in a Martial Art system that they enjoy, good for them. I get tired of hearing Traditional practitioner cannot fight in a true street fight. Or UFC /mixed martial arts practitioner can beat any style. Last I remember, I don't think I joined martial arts so that I could take on a 250 lb mixed martial artist. I have trained for years and believe that if a situation ever arose, I can rely on the skills I have learned from my instructor to quickly diffuse the problem or defend myself adequately to get out of the situation. I am proud of my style and genuinely happy for those who practice martial arts and practice being a humble martial artist. I have no time for those who want to take on every other practitioner because they feel their style is superior.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

In the area I live in there is a huge amount of tension between the 12 kobayoshi shorin ryu dojos within the twenty minute drive of my house even though we are of the same line and all branched from a single local instructor.

It is necessary to drink alcohol and pursue other fun human activities. The art (i.e. karate) of someone who is too serious has no "flavor."

-motobu

It's probably partially an oriential thing. Whereas Japanese and Okinawans are not the best of friends Japanese and Koreans also are not the best of friends. After all, many Japanese and Okinawans think that the belt levels used in TKD where the red belt is below black was a slap in the face to traditional karate masters.

The other things is that Americans always want whatever it is that they do be the top dog. "Mine is better" kind of an attitude. Fact is none are the "ultimate fighting weapon" Karate (all forms and styles...including Korean, Chinese etc) are a "way" of self defense and not the ultimate. Far too many, even those who say what I just said, really don't believe it and even less act like they believe it. It's sad. We are all in one big sandbox and we need to learn to play together.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

As unfortunate as it is, there will always be tension between different styles - even between different schools of the same style.

In my area there are a lot of Isshinryu, because different black belts broke away from my sensei (for various reasons) and started their own schools. What resulted was basically a huge rivalry between the schools, and a lot of unnecessary hard feelings and fights. I remember one time I asked another girl from a different Isshinryu school to train with me in preparation for a tournament. She refused because she would "never train with someone from my school" That was the last time I ever asked someone from an outside dojo to train with me. (BTW, I beat her in the competition :D )

It's like, whenever the opportunity comes to defend your school, everything you ever learned about respect goes out the window. I guess it's a mix of school pride and ego. It's one thing in the spirit of competition but some people take things way too far.

I understand, there are 12 schools in my area who all broke away from the same original intructor and they all hate one another. I have remained neutral. It truely breaks my heart that we cannot embrace the differences. think of it this way your cohi may do somthing different then you but if it works for him and not for you is it wrong for you both? No, the slight variations in tecnique that work from one person to the next is called evolution! Dont play politics just train your students to the best of your abilities.

It is necessary to drink alcohol and pursue other fun human activities. The art (i.e. karate) of someone who is too serious has no "flavor."

-motobu