• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Young-in hapkido

I was looking into studying hapkido under a graduate of Young-in university[Korean judo college] I came across the thread "what is hapkido" that seemed to suggest these schools taught low quality hapkido. I was under the impression training at Young-in was very high quality. Could anyone elaborate on this , or have you trained at one of these schools. The instructor at the school Im looking at has been around since 77 and has 8th dans in hapkido,yudo and TKD. Any opinions on this form of hapkido.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There's a guy in my town who is from Yong In university.

I checked out his school, and he pretty much bad mouthed TSD.

I find that an unprofessional attitude to begin with.

Anyway the students he has are not very good. I can not comment on his skill level, but looking at his students I would say he's not a very good teacher. His marketing appears far more interested in pushing his after school program than his MA classes.

This has been my experience.

However, in your case,

It doesn't matter where he's from or where he's trained. What matters is can he teach you what you are seeking to learn.

• 3 weeks later...

To put it as simple as possible, Hapkido is a Korean art which was developed from Daito Ryu Akijitsu (Japanese style) and Korean kicking and punching arts such as taekyon (hope I spelled it correctly) etc.

I've studied it for over 20 years. Its well rounded with lots of joint locks and throws (take downs), kicks, and punches. Founded by Choi, Yong Sul.

The root art, Daito Ryu, came from Sokaku Tekeda, a Japanese Samurai. He was instructor to the founders of Hapkido (Korean) and Aikido (Japanese).

There lots of info on both on the net.

Happy hunting.

• 3 weeks later...

Yong-In university is the most famous martial arts university in Korea. It was the first in Korea to offer degree programs in martial arts. Now im not sure about Hapkido, but you simply cannot get better taekwondo or Judo training in Korea other than at Yong-In. Whether or not hapkido came from a Japanese art doesnt really matter. My own research that I had to do for my own Hapkido final last semester told me the same thing. But if you are in Korea, and you can get into Yong-IN universities Hapkido program(the dont accept just any Joe off the street for any fighting arts) then I would have to believe you would be in VERY good company. And if you can train under someone with those kinds of credentials, then I wouldn't doubt their skill. But then again, anyone can claim anything about where they studied and their rank. If you can see Yong-In certificates on his walls, and rank certificates proving he holds that high of a rank in 3 different arts..then you found yourself a goldmine! But thats seems a little suspicious to me personally. There are not all that many 8th Dans of any art around, but to be 8th Dan in 3...hmmm..I'd check into that.

Todd