• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Judging kata/forms

I don't know if i am diong the right thing or whatever but when i step forward into the ring, I block my mind off of everything, then I image that I am by myself in a open field. Look directly into the judges eyes full of intensity, to make sure that I'm one of the serious ones here. Then always for a show off...I kinda overexaggerate my standing stance. But just a little bit extra to call it my own. Once I start my form, I always go for loud kihaps and strong techinques. Then my facial expression is like I'm actually fighting a person with my form. Once I am finished, I'm sooooo tired. I have others cheering for me as if I'm some form of a celebity over basic forms...lol.

Life is a book, you have to read it to achieve it- invent your own novel

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's what you meant by presentation then, I didn't do that? I thought you meant the talking loud, and stuff (which I did try to do LOL). But you have a good point.

"Talking loud and stuff" is a part of presentation-the way you speak and carry yourself says alot about what you are about to do. If you can convince yourself you own it, you can convince others too.

8)

Ok, I get it now ;) Thanks.

John, you just gave me idea for another thread.

Thanks everyone for your imput. Keep it coming ;)

Laurie F

• 2 weeks later...

Presentation of a kata is important as long as its not taken over board ex: rolling, flipping, dancing into the ring...basically anything along those lines

A very sharp looking walk in that is professional and pretty is usually a good presentation...also timing is KEY when it comes to presentation without timing kata alot of time can just look like nothing and is quite often sloppy...but with timing katas can look VERY sharp

I agree with the last post. I've seen a girl in the NASKA circuit do an open form set to the music of the Chicago movie. It was interesting but in my mind, she put in too many jazz poses in her form which is suppose to be martial arts. I think that was overdoing it a bit. Her martial arts techniques were good enough on their own.

I've seen all sorts of little kids add cutesy moves like wiggling their hips to the music as well. This I'm not very keen on.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

There also seems to be a lot of bias towards "name" competitors that have been on the circuit for a long time. Judges should evaluate that days performerance on its own merrit w/o giving much consideration to a persons reputation.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

Well.. to me, I don't really see a bias. I think most judges are fair. And really.. most judges judge the same division every tournament. So for them to be known, they have stood out in the past. I think that most judges do judge fairly, but the known people who normally come last get a lot of attention. That is why I was saying that judges have to pay attention to all competition.

But the worst thing that can happen to you, is to go first in competition. No matter what, you normally never get 1st. So, that's a def. killer in competition. That's why it is good to be seeded and everything. Guarantee one of the last spots.

Belt: 2nd Dan

School: FiveStar Karate

Instructor: Tim Little

If i was to judge a kata, id base it firstly on the katas main points. Such as for Heian Yondan, id look for Expansion /contraction and control. Then id look at their stance, followed by how solid their technique is.

Edited by Menjo

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

It does make it tougher when you are judging an open tournament where there are people from styles you do not know.

In that case I think presentation becomes a larger factor since not all of the techniques will be the same.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

Wow. How * is that. I got censored. So instead of just censoring that word. They blocked my whole post. Whoever is the mod for this forum needs to leave the good information that I provided. That was a well thought out post and now you have removed all of the necessities that it presented. Thanks a lot.

Belt: 2nd Dan

School: FiveStar Karate

Instructor: Tim Little