• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Embroidered Black Belts

zuluking

I'd have to agree with Jussi Häkkinen, Shureido is a high quality provider for goods but they tend to be expensive. :cry:

Hmm, not really. Think about it...a good jogging outfit & shoes costs easily $200. It's about the same price that you'll pay for an uniform & belt made by Tokaido, Shureido, Hirota etc.

If you think about how long the uniforms last (my oldest Shureido uniform is ~8 years old now and still looks decent), the price isn't too much. Sure, if one is a student or has a low income, the price may take a while to rake up. Still, it's quite a wise thing to do.

I agree with Jussi. Pay the price for a high quality uniform and belt. It's worth it.

The oldest uniform I have now that I wear is a Tokaido about 20 years old. It was given to me by one of my instructors. It's still in great shape.

Let's see on this list who has the oldest uniform and what brand it is. That should tell us something about which uniforms hold up the best. I think belts can last for a lot longer but how about them too?

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As my current income is that of an assistaint instructor, I cannot afford the fancy silk stuff - but tigerclaw had really nice embroidered belt for something like $30, if I recall correctly. It's not shiny, but I've had it for a year, and I wear it 5 days a week, at least 20 hours, and it's fraying only on the place where I tie the not, and a little on the back where the stress is most.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

My Kamikaze silk belt is about 3 years old(which isn't old)but seems to look practically new. I even took Jussi's advice from another thread and washed it about a month ago.

I've had shuriedo and tokaido satin belts in the past and they got the frayed/broken in look in a few years..this kamikaze silk belt is something else.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

I've seen some crappy belt jobs in the lat couple of decades. I think the worse one I've ever seen is a slightly off white cotton twil belt with back course silk covering. The silk starts to degrade really fast pulling off in long threads leaving a worn old belt look in about 1 year.

My belt(s) were a gift from my sensei stitched with my name and his prior to being put together. My favorite one is silk covered and has had a lot of wear (now 10 years 8~12hours/week) and its showing its inards in only one spot where the knot is formed and its on the underside. I think this has to do with the silk used. Its very very fine and when a thread lets go there is black material under it. I will make a point of getting my buddy in japan to translate the lable and I will post the company.

I've also seen student razor their belts to start them falling apart faster. Its really funny seeing blackbelts in class that have been shodan for less than a year with belts that look more worn than mine with a decade on it. I plan to keep this belt for a few decades so by then I suppose it will look like I have some experience...

Anyone have any thoughts about his.. Personally I like a broken in belt like anyone else... but let it happen naturally with training..

I caught a Sensei doing this with a new Tokaido belt before, it was pretty stupid considering his rank is legit(his Dan certificates were from Teruo Hayashi).

The closest thing I have done to this was wash my belt recently, I think if I took a razor to my belt that the following monday other people would wonder what the heck happened to my belt.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=