• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Makiwara

kurome

How can you justify that a makiwara isn't for conditioning? Conditioning may not be it's primary purpose, but you can't disagree that makiwara training results in higher bone density and thicker skin, making it easier to give and take blows. There's no way you can justify to me that a makiwara isn't at least partially for conditioning.

I think the makiwara can be for conditioning but a lot of other things too. I think what some people consider 'conditioning' is different. I don't know what you mean by 'bone density' but you would have to make your skin REALLY thick to make much of a difference in a real fight, where knuckles always end up bloody if there's any contact made at all. I agree that conditioning is PART of it. But I don't think it is the main thing. Unless we mean different things by 'conditioning'.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I got some 16mm MDF. I then attached to that some carpet under-lay and then a thin layer of rubber (about 3mm). I then stapled vinyl to the board and then attached the whole thing to a back board that I can mount to the wall.

email me for pictures at jiffbox@hotmail.com (not sure where to host them)

Don't strike it with any force. It'll ruin your wrists and knuckles - it'll cause knuckle joints to create cartilage and limit their movement. If struck with a heavy force, there will be serious damage done to knuckles and wrist joints.

While impact training does increase bone density, it can be done in a lot safer way - i.e. with a proper makiwara with lots of give or with a good heavy bag.

While thickened skin and increased bone density are a nice plus (that will come from any impact training), the greatest benefit of makiwara training (with a proper makiwara that has lots of give) is to have a safe and constant way for learning the proper geometrics (wrist, elbow, shoulder etc..) for punching. Heavy bag doesn't have as constant "swing" (makiwara only goes to one direction, while bag can turn etc. when punching) and thus makiwara is better for this kind of training.

Using both board makiwara and heavy bag (I know that heavy bag can be called as makiwara as well) is a good idea for any karateka. However, it's necessary to check that the equipment is good - not too hard and heavy bag and not too stiff makiwara.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I couldn't agree more. For me, it was more about interest than conditioning. The idea for me is not to go in breaking knuckles or wrists but just something with a bit of resistance but still a bit of give to allow some target work. If I wanted one to absoloutly belt, I would do a ground mounted one or just move over to the punch bag.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Does snow/rain/cold temperatures harm a makiwara outdoors at all?

"You all come from different instructors, so as I look around the room I may see many different

ways of preforming this kata, however, if you are turning left and I turn right, we have a problem."

-Renshi Thomas Apsokardu (Godan, Okinawa Kenpo Karate Kobudo Koryu Kan)

Matthew Sullivan

Does snow/rain/cold temperatures harm a makiwara outdoors at all?

Yes, those conditions harm makiwara. After all, it's wooden - and wood has to be properly sealed in any outdoor use. However, flexibility etc. will be diminished during the winter, so it's best to build a new outdoor makiwara in the beginning of every summer.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• 2 weeks later...
I couldn't agree more. For me, it was more about interest than conditioning. The idea for me is not to go in breaking knuckles or wrists but just something with a bit of resistance but still a bit of give to allow some target work. If I wanted one to absoloutly belt, I would do a ground mounted one or just move over to the punch bag.

It sounds like you just need someone to hold a focus pad, If you do want a proper makiwara buy a shuriedo or any other proper tapered post type, seem's expensive but at what price do you value being able to move your hands the arthritis myth is caused by improper makiwara and people making do with 4"x2" posts that offer no give. Just remmember this, makiwara do not give you arthritis its incorrect use or a bad cheap design that causes it, so as with most things buy the best you can afford .

Regards Maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

there is a good decription and design in Gichin Funakoshi"s book Karate-Do Nyumon

Yes I followed his instructions in, karate do my way of life, For me I found that it came out too stiff and did not offer enough give for thrusting techniques however I still use it for striking techniques, and have it in my garden along with a heavy bag and a 1/4" tapered one that offers the give I require for thrusting techniques.

Regards Maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.